What do you think of this guitar?

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

What do you think of this guitar?

Postby Tone » 29 Jun 2010, 11:55

Hi everyone

This looks to be an interesting and nice guitar, despite it not being a Fender:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

What do you think? Has anyone got or had experience of Sonic Pro guitars?

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Re: What do you think of this guitar?

Postby dave robinson » 29 Jun 2010, 12:12

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - had one, sent it back very disappointed - bad experience. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: My advice, if it's a Fender you like, then buy a Fender.I learnt the hard way.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Tone » 29 Jun 2010, 12:45

Thanks, Dave. I wasn't really tempted, especially since I have Fenders but it looked to be a good spec at an attractive price.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Postby dave robinson » 29 Jun 2010, 16:35

That's why I bought one Tony because of the claimed specs, but I was so disappointed with it, I guess I thought it would match the Fenders - but it came nowhere near, I got the idea it would be in the 'Alan Brason' sort of class, but it was like one of those 'Encore' Strats . . . . . . lesson learned.
I might add thought that some folks have claimed to have had good instruments from this company, I may have been unlucky - or too particular.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby almano » 29 Jun 2010, 20:07

Hi Dave, I’ve been intrigued to read this posting about a bargain Fender copy.

In fact this brought to my mind that I’ve also been thinking about the possibility of indulging a long held desire to get myself some sort of Hank “look a like” Strat.

I know a genuine vintage example would of course cost a King’s ransom – and as I already have a 70’s era USA Fender Strat (in unfortunately the ‘natural’ colour with the black scratch plate) – I suppose I already do probably have a sort of “vintage” example. But, nonetheless I still rather think a cosmetically correct looking Strat would somehow just sort of “feel” more pleasant and rather nicely ‘right’ to a prehistoric Hank fan. So, what kind of example should I look for?

Any personal recommendations of favoured models, Fender or not, - and things to look out for, - will be most gratefully looked at, read and very much considered!

My thanks for any advice in this area – it will certainly help to avoid making any sorts of unforeseen “hiccups” red Strat wise!

Cheers,

Alan.
almano

Postby dave robinson » 29 Jun 2010, 22:13

In my opinion, a Mexican built Fender Classic 50's fits the bill perfectly and I'm sure many members who have these in fiesta red will confirm that. I have played one and the playability is excellent and the sounds are there. I have two Mexican built 'Fender 'Classic Player' Strats, which are a tad more expensive but virtually the same as the Classic that I speak of, but with some modern refinements i.e. fatter frets, a more modern neck profile, the 50's one features locking machine heads, but nothing that makes them sound any different if you get my drift, the only thing is with the 'Classic Player is that they don't do fiesta red, but you can pick up a fiesta red Classic 50's for around £400.00. :thumbup:

There's a new one here on Ebay item number 230489987381
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby neil2726 » 29 Jun 2010, 22:26

yes the Mexican 50s Strat is a good buy, and a nice colour! Got mine off E bay for £379, but most seem to be going for around £429. Just putting a set of D'Addarios 10s on it, as the 3rd string it came with didnt sound right!
neil2726

Postby RUSSET » 30 Jun 2010, 07:40

I've not had the experience of a Sonic Pro guitar, but have heard the rumours about them like other members, so I would recommend to play safe, rather than end up sorry.
I have acquired a new Squier Classic Vibe series '60s Strat 'Biffy Clyro' model in Fiesta Red, however, & can heartily vouch for that one. Being a '60s style guitar it, of course, has a Rosewood fingerboard.
It punches well above it's weight in the value for money stakes, has a proper Fender-style headstock & good Alnico pickups. The one downside is that the trem block is of that cheap soft alloy that guarantees the trem arm will work loose pretty quickly. I replaced mine with a steel one, & it is fine now. I paid £259 brand new, I understand that 'Dolphin Music' are at the moment offering it for that price with a free hardcase thrown in.
Another good quality manufacturer of F.Red Strat copies, is 'Vintage' by Trevor Wilkinson. Check out the website of John Hornsby Skewes, the distributors, www.jhs.co.uk . The model is called the V6, & it now comes in F.Red with either a Maple or rosewood board, & costs £239 RRP. I guess it could be even cheaper in store or on the net. It has Alnico pickups, a steel trem block with push-in arm & E-Z Lock tuners.
I have experience of both the 'Classic' & 'Classic Player' series from Fender Mexico, like many of our members, & they are really good quality/value at between £400-500. It depends, as always, on how much you want to spend.
Happy hunting.
Tony.
RUSSET

Postby almano » 01 Jul 2010, 17:44

Hi, thanks to everyone for your advice on red Strats, you’ve certainly given me plenty of food for thought.

It’s really useful to have a “personal recommendation” list such as this to work from.

I am sure I will be able to get myself a “1960’s Hank-a-like” Strat from that lot. I’m rather looking forward to trying out a few of those suggested guitars in the local dealerships over the next month or two. It’ll be interesting to see which one I plump for in the end!

Thanks once again for the recommendations, you’ve saved me from making a ropey choice (which I bet I would have done!)

Cheers,

Alan.
almano

Postby ecca » 01 Jul 2010, 20:13

Build your own.
ecca

Next

Return to Guitars and Gear