Another gadget?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Another gadget?

Postby PeterV » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi,

As the Etap2 VST module is regarded as the prefered software solution for "surf guitar" with > 20K downloads including very positive feedbacks also from studio's! We conclude that this project is regarded as finished. When you're using the build 1 version there is one upgrade to build 2 on our site. This build 2 version is with an aditional feature to widen-up the guitar more in the stereofield ala Peter Korving.

The next project we're working on, this time as a low cost hardware based project, is based on a DSP IC named SPN1001-FV1. It is designed by the very same people designing the DSP unit you'll find in the well known Alesis Q2x family . One of there distributors in the US is OCT who is also marketing a special daughter board that's featured with this FV-1 DSP chip and required SMD devices and includes already 8 fully functional effects programmed in an EEProm. It is even possible to extend your choice in 4 different groups of effects offered pending the set you order. It's very simple doing business with them and payment can be done through Paypal.

We have used this DSP daughter board to design an echo device based on a mother/daughter construct with the following emulation status:

A shortlist of the emulations part of this unit:

Emulation Status Remarks

1 Meazzi Echomatic model 2 under development Mono
2 Meazzi Echomatic model 2 variant under development Mono
3 VOX LongTom no planning Mono
4 Ping/Pong Delay available Stereo
5 Delay+Reverb available Stereo
6 Delay available Stereo
7 Abbey road reverb no planning
8 tbd no planning

A picture tell's more then 1000 words! Here is the working stereo version

For the Echomatic model#2 an already working but not fully developed code is available for testing. The present configuration is par with what's presently available like magic stomp and Alesis Q20. We've established some outstanding tape artifacts improvements that possible would make this even best of class (within in the range of the mentioned products). For that I need to add some more hardware functionality to the design while removing the stereo capabilities.
The project can be regarded as a DIY project. There are some open items like filling the EEPROM by the users themselves but in general it all seems to be without showstoppers. As already mentioned this is lowcost so the patches are just dial settings as was done on the real thing.

I'm wondering if this community would have any interest in this very low cost design <100 Euro's (parts + programmed EEprom) you solder and put it in a case! The outcome provides me with a simple go/no go on activities.

There is more detailed information here: http://www.echotapper.nl/dev/index.php? ... &Itemid=45

Kind Regards

Piet ;)
Last edited by PeterV on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeterV

Re: Another gadget?

Postby AlanMcKillop » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 pm

This looks interesting and 100 euros isn't much, but I'm not sure what it's about? :?

You'll need to explain in simple terms ........... for me anyway. ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Twang46 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:06 am

This looks very, very interesting.

Thanks Piet

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby ecca » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:39 am

Elucidate further Piet.....
ecca

Postby PeterV » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:01 am

ecca wrote:Elucidate further Piet.....

Ecca,

It's like the Alesis now but with dials as you would have find on the Meazzi device. It's a full-blown echo with FET inputs. The DSP is programmed with exact timings. At the present I'm working on the filtering. An improved model is also worked on. This "improved" unit is using dedicated hardware to get the tape artifacts very much improved over the existing Q2/20, Magicstop etc family of products. The reason of the communication is to poll if there is sufficiant interest to get this so I can decide if I should put in the extra (s)mile for this or just go to the beach or climb a mountain instead.

-P
PeterV

Postby Didier » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:51 am

PeterV wrote:Hi,
I'm wondering if this community would have any interest in this very low cost design <100 Euro's (parts + programmed EEprom) you solder and put it in a case! The outcome provides me with a simple go/no go on activities.

I would be ready to forward the info on our French forum, but i'll need to know what's the exact proposal.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Bojan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:36 pm

I think this is very interesting Piet, as are all your projects, perhaps this one even more because it's hardware, it sounds like a good thing, and it is not expensive, so I am very interested (even though I didn't understand half of what you said) ;) :oops:

But there will be a crucial stage, when the members of this forum will want to hear how this device sounds. That is what everyone is waiting for. We don't need to know the technical details, we trust you with that, but we are interested to hear how it will sound. If it sounds as good I'm hoping it will, you will have a whole lot of people wanting to buy this echo, myself included!!!

Impatiently,
Bojan
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby PeterV » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Bojan wrote:I think this is very interesting Piet, as are all your projects, perhaps this one even more because it's hardware, it sounds like a good thing, and it is not expensive, so I am very interested (even though I didn't understand half of what you said) ;) :oops:

But there will be a crucial stage, when the members of this forum will want to hear how this device sounds. That is what everyone is waiting for. We don't need to know the technical details, we trust you with that, but we are interested to hear how it will sound. If it sounds as good I'm hoping it will, you will have a whole lot of people wanting to buy this echo, myself included!!!

Impatiently,
Bojan

http://www.oct-distribution.com/Samples ... _delay.mp3
http://www.oct-distribution.com/Samples ... _Delay.mp3
http://www.oct-distribution.com/Samples ... reverb.mp3

Some delay samples. Obviously the vintage sound/timing is not there (yet :) )
PeterV

Postby panchodiaz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I have been following Piet´s project from the beginning with great interest. From what I have seen on http://www.echotapper.nl site it seems you do not need a great knowledge in electronics to build it. It is basically a DIY echo pedal that emulates the Meazzi Echomatic # 2. It is based on an IC developed by Alesis people with similar capabilities than the Q20. Piet has added the ability to Wow & Flutter, and has programmed the IC interanl memory with the tempos of Echomatic # 2.

On the other hand, to save costs, settings can not be stored, so you will have to tweak with the pots to get the right setting just as they did in the old days.

Go for it, Piet. The mountain will be there after the development.

Cheers,
Pancho

BTW the examples sound good. It seems to me they have been recorded by OCT company to demonstrate the FV-1 capabilities. Nothing related to your development which is not a simple delay machine but a multihead echo.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:03 pm

I think this sounds very good and if it offers the Meazzi sound it will be well received indeed keep us informed :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Next

Return to Gear