Hiscox cases, handles, rivets, great service and workmanship

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hiscox cases, handles, rivets, great service and workmanship

Postby JimN » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Anything to do with guitars and amps, you say?

OK... how about one of my Hiscox cases?

About 18 months ago, I bought two Hiscox STD-JG cases - the standard size and shape on the outside, but laid out internally to accommodate a Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster. One was for the superb Fender J Mascis Jazzmaster I bought from David Martin and the other was for my Squier Jagmaster, which has the same dimensions as a Jaguar.

On Tuesday last, I was at a local jam night and had the Jagmaster with me. On retrieving the case at the end of the evening, I found that one end of the handle had become detached. The case is well within its 3-year guarantee, but I didn't fancy driving down to GAK in Brighton to get a repair or replacement. Instead, I emailed Hiscox using the form on their website, to ask if I could buy a new handle. I got an email the next day telling me that a new handle was on its way - gratis. And true enough, it turned up, complete with the required pop-rivets and a supply of washers, etc.

Today, I got Dave Winters (Maidstone luthier) to replace the handle - he wanted to charge me just a fiver, but I insisted he took twice that amount. It had been fascinating watching how he did it...

So hats off to Hiscox Cases for superb service and to Dave Winters (DW Guitars) for Saturday afternoon service beyond the call of duty.

JN

PS: Dave also did a custom bend on a Japanese Fender Jazzmaster tremolo arm for me - I'd trimmed the "bend" off it and wanted a particular shape for use with the Strat-type trem bridge. All that for a fiver!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Hiscox cases, handles, rivets, great service and workmanship

Postby Risky » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Hiscox Cases are made right here in Cannock - the birthplace of the world famous Hankies.

These cases are THE BEST. If you don't believe me, have a look at their video: http://www.hiscoxcases.com/products_hiscox.htm#construction
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby ecca » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:01 pm

I got 5 Hiscox cases and I've had more than that in my time.
The weak link is the catch, there's always one that conks.
ecca

Postby neil2726 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:16 am

Looks like I saved some cash - I bent my strat trem arm using my workmate bench and a bit of strength! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Return to Gear