Possible snag with plans for a new Burns "W****** Rapier"...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Possible snag with plans for a new Burns "W****** Rapier"...

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:39 pm

...model.

Burns may have produced a prototype, but the rights to the name and design of the Watkins Rapier range are already an issue.

See the bottom of this page (of beautiful Watkins Rapiers of the 1960s and early 1970s):

http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/rapiers.htm

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Possible snag with plans for a new Burns "W****** Rapier"...

Postby alanbakewell » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I bought a left handed Rapier 44 from Bells Music in Surbiton some time around 1970.
If I remember rightly it was £50.00 and I had it on the "knock".

I remember being surprised at how small Bells actually was at the time. The Bells catalogue was a mightily impressive read with most of the prices in guineas if memory serves me right.

There was a tremolo on the guitar. However this was almost redundant as a good shove could bend the neck a good semi tone. :D
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby dusty fretz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:23 pm

Barry Gibson has already decided not to take the Rapier idea beyond the prototype stage, rightly considering it more important to promote Burns designs rather than those of a rival maker with no connections to the company.
dusty fretz

Postby Razzmataz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:00 pm

I wish I still had my Circuit 4. All I have left is the bridge because I had replaced it with an adjustable one and could not find the original when I sold it. It even had the correct gold letters (PLB as per HBM) on it.
Razzmataz

Full Real Name: Paul Beard

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi all. There is a 100% mint condition left handed Watkins Rapier 33 in my local music shop. I nearly bought the guitar on a couple of occasions but the price puts me off. Six months ago it was £325, its now £495!!!!. Silly me.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby stratmantd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

My first electric guitar was a Rapier 22 which I bought from Malc's brother.

While it was fine to start with, after playing a strat it could be seen for what it was; a fine guitar for beginners but not one that you would want to play as a serious instrument.

The neck was too wide for my short fingers and the action was always going to be a little too high. You had to be very careful about using the tremelo arm as anything more than the slightest movement would put at least half of the strings out of tune. The bridge was barely adjustable; it certainly wouldn't allow you to use too much lighter or heavier than medium guage (whatever that means).

I loved it; it was my first electric, it was so much better than the crappy acoustic which should have had nylon strings but instead was steel strung with the action to match.

I actually sold it then bought it back; I was so fond of it. But, pay over £75 for one now, no way! Not even for historical value.
stratmantd

Return to Gear