Anyone got 5 million to spare?

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Anyone got 5 million to spare?

Postby sixtiesman » 02 Jun 2010, 21:28

worth looking at if you have $5million yup 5 big ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-Fender-Stratoc ... 335db6381c
sixtiesman

Re: Anyone got 5 million to spare?

Postby Stratpicker » 02 Jun 2010, 22:42

Who writes this stuff!!
AND - its not even in original condition - played to Death from 63 to 82, Di Marzio tuners and brass nut fitted.
Do you think I might sell my Squier Affinity in the USa for $100,000 as it is completely knackered and I've changed just about everything on it!!!!
Oh, yes - I forgot to add the (disgusting and probably untrue) quadraplegic statement!!
cheers
ian
ANd - to think - he PAID eBay to post it!! Is he off his Rocker??!!
Stratpicker

Postby noelford » 03 Jun 2010, 08:20

I suppose when someone pays a lot of dosh on eBay for a brussel sprout that looks like the face of Jesus, folks like this will always think it's worth a shot!
noelford

Postby Twangaway » 05 Jun 2010, 20:58

It's an astonishing story from the guy for sure. Personally I don't buy the PR stunt, as several things don't sound right. The colour photos would have probably been faked as no-one realistically would have had colour cameras or access to colour photography in that era. The pictures are too sharp. Early colour photography was somewhat soft. The Black and white photos show a family of dare I say humble origins, and I somehow disbelieve that a Fender Stratocaster figured high on that family's budget and daily needs of survival post war years no different to England.

The serial number explanation is very iffy, the body colour as a black is very unlikely. as to my knowledge there are no examples of coloured Strats from that period. Maybe white, but there again Bruce had a Black Jazzmaster so am unsure about much of this.

Finally the price tag is likely if it was a guitar owned by a celebrity player, but a simple guy from a simple background, asking this sum is a non starter. I also think ebay charge fees on listings based on the reserve price. With an obvious failed sale likely this guy could be seriously out of pocket on a whimsical listing and perhaps doesn't realise it yet :) LOL

Am ready to accept more substantive authentication such as the shop owner who could be in his 90's stating he remembered the customer or something more substantive, bearing in mind how sophisticated some scams can be and many examples of FrankeinStrats about that are supposed to be real Strats and not just body parts and a good measure of wishful thinking in the origin.
Twangaway

Postby John Boyd » 05 Jun 2010, 23:11

Did Bruce really have a black Jazzmaster? I've always thought it was sunburst.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Postby Twangaway » 06 Jun 2010, 00:00

I recall seeing it in one of those vintage Black and White classic Videos where they are backing Cliff on some TV show. Its the clips that appear on Cliff VHS Videos and maybe DVD's now. Maybe I am wrong but was sure it was Black. I have the tape somewhere.

David
Twangaway

Postby Didier » 06 Jun 2010, 08:46

From the bruce Welch Tribute site : http://www.brucewelchtribute.com/

Didier
Didier

Postby Twangaway » 06 Jun 2010, 10:41

That's the clip or picture I was thinking of Didier, thanks

My eyes are not that good, but is it black ?
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » 06 Jun 2010, 10:49

Twangaway wrote:
The serial number explanation is very iffy, the body colour as a black is very unlikely. as to my knowledge there are no examples of coloured Strats from that period. Maybe white, but there again Bruce had a Black Jazzmaster so am unsure

Serial number is correct for year.

There were quite a few black strats' back then - I saw several when visiting various music museums it the U.S. Cliff Gallup had one with Gene Vincent's Bluecaps. We didn't see them in the UK until much later.

With respect, your knowledge is very limited David. All of your statements are incorrect.

Bruce's Jazzmaster was sunburst, plenty of pictures show it quite clearly.

Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby George Geddes » 06 Jun 2010, 11:08

There's a clear photo in Duchossoir's Strat book of Howard Reed playing a black Strat with the Blue Caps in 1955 or thereabouts, but it is stated to be a 'custom order'.

George
George Geddes

Next

Return to Guitars and Gear