Amp for new Fender Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Amp for new Fender Strat

Postby Rosemary » Mon May 31, 2010 11:25 am

Hi David
I hope they have it in the store and will let me try it out. We have a big problem with space (a lack thereof) but then I didn't know where I'd put the Strat and managed to fit it next to the acoustic and the restored guitar with the broken bridge so I might just be able to squeeze in a bigger amp. Am looking around now to see what could be moved :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks again to everyone for your advice which made buying an amp a much easier process. We decided on the Roland Micro Cube for the time being for practical reasons (e.g. no space) but we tested the Fender Blues Junior and really loved the sound. It was a tough decision but unfortunately it was just a bit too big for this room which is looking more like a recording studio every day. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the Microcube and at my level (i.e. beginner) I think it will be fine. It sounds hundreds times better than the cheap little plastic one we bought at the guitar show. It's also small and light enough to cart around the room if I want to get at anything else. Maybe in 6 months or so I might buy a bigger one and was very taken with the Fender amps I've heard so far.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby noelford » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 am

The great thing about the Microcubes is that they run a long time on batteries and you can play anywhere with them. They also have an aux input for playing backing tracks. I use rechargeables in mine. It's something you will want to hang on to, even when you move up to bigger amps. Despite having four other amps at my disposal, I will still often plug into my Microcube RX ( I was out in in the garden with it the other day, playing in the sunshine).
noelford

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:32 am

I'm really enjoying the new Strat although I tend to play it mainly on weekends and the acoustic at night after work. Now I'm at the stage of looking at those little footswitch echo/delay machines but am not sure if they'll work with the Roland Micro Cube (just the standard one). My main priority is learning to play more fluently before sound effects and it's all coming along slowly but surely but I suppose I'm at that stage of wanting to switch between effects quickly. To be honest though, I haven't even worked them all out yet so am perhaps getting a bit ahead of myself. Also I probably need to get some good backing tracks rather than playing along to the originals.
I also have an old Roland sound module (will have to check if it has Windows 7 drivers first) so maybe I can do something with that with the right software. I have an ancient Cakewalk CD somewhere.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby noelford » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 am

Rosemary, although you are absolutely right about learning to play being the main thing, there is no denying that, for melody, a delay pedal, even a basic one, enriches the sound and actually encourages you to play (and practice) more. Any pedal will work with your amp, and there are lots of choices without spending large amounts of money – the best thing is to try a few out in a shop.
noelford

Postby ecca » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:41 pm

What about no amp at all Rosemary ?
How about an amp simulator you can plug in your computer and play through your hi-fi ?
Like a Korg Ampworks, or similar, if you can find one on ebay.
You'll get effects thrown in as well.
Cheers
Ecca
ecca

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Noel and Eric
Thanks for your help. I'll check the music shop in the city about the pedal and have a look at Korg Ampworks too. I used to have the stereo set up with the computer and the sound module when I did MIDI sequences a long time ago so it would be good to start using the equipment again. I'm hoping I'll be better at the guitar than the keyboard because I gave up playing in real time and used to step record MIDI. The guitar and amp is a whole new experience though. Lots and lots to learn and I really appreciate all the help from everyone here.
Bets wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Rosemary » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 am

Bought a Boss DD-7 Digitial Delay unit today at lunch and have just plugged it in. It seems to do the trick - for the time being anyway - and for my level (beginner) . The people in the shop are getting to know me. :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Previous

Return to Gear