Amp for new Fender Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Amp for new Fender Strat

Postby Rosemary » Sun May 30, 2010 11:16 am

We went to the guitar show today and I bought a new Fender Stratocaster (American Standard ).
At the moment I only have a very cheap portable amp using batteries so I can play it but will need to buy something better very soon.
We are terribly short of space and I won't be wanting to make a lot of noise either so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a small-ish but high quality amp (Sorry I can't be more specific but this is all new territory. I only started learning the acoustic a couple of months ago but always wanted both for different types of music ).
Actually I have good speakers and an amp for music (CDs, computer etc. ) in the room with the guitars and keyboard but imagine that setup can't be used for a guitar? If it could, it would be great space saver.
Thanks.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: Amp for new Fender Strat

Postby noelford » Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Rosemary

I don't know which battery powered amp you are using but, in addition to the amps I use for gigging, I have a Roland Microcube RX which is absolutely brilliant for a small battery/mains amp and has enough oomph for a room/small hall, despite its minimal rated output. Complete with amp modeling and a range of effects, it's definitely recommended as a portable amp.

Cheers

Noel
noelford

Postby Rosemary » Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Noel
I'll check if they're available from the music shop in the city tomorrow.
Sounds like just the thing I need.
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sun May 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Check out the Fender Super Champ XD, at around a couple of hundred quid, it has a superb sound, is very small (10" speaker) and very portable. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Didier » Sun May 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Rosemary wrote:We are terribly short of space and I won't be wanting to make a lot of noise either so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a small-ish but high quality amp

You might look either for a Vox amp from the DA or VT series (DA5, DA10, VT15), or the AC4 if you want to go to the valve amp route.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby RUSSET » Sun May 30, 2010 7:15 pm

I have the Fender Super Champ XD, so can confirm Alan's recommendation that it is a very good quality 15w valve amp with some amp-modelling & various effects, so ideal for home/practise situations. It is also very good value for money. Other quality amps worth considering are the Roland Cube 15 or the Roland Cube 30. They also have amp-modelling & effects built in & are great value for money. All three are reasonably lightweight too.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Rosemary » Mon May 31, 2010 9:14 am

Thank you all so much for your help pointing me in the right track.
Interestingly I actually heard the same model guitar being tested on a little Fender Champ for a customer before me at lunchtime today and was very impressed but ran out of time to hear the Roland Cubes to compare.
Anyway tomorrow I have a day off so will phone one of the suburban shops to see if they have the models you mentioned in stock and drive out there. It should be easier to carry home in the car too. Hopefully then by this time tomorrow I'll be all set up.
Thanks again
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby David Martin » Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 am

Exciting times, Rosemary!

My recommendation is a Fender Blues Junior... more expensive and a little bigger physically, but you will never need anything else... ever!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Rosemary » Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks David.
I'll check them out. Yes it's very exciting! :) I was also amazed at how much easier it is on my hands than the acoustic but I'll continue to practise on both and the electric means a whole new world of techniques to learn.

This is probably the shop I'll phone to see what's available. Otherwise we'll try other shops. There's no frantic rush. I have the guitar and that's the main thing and can at least hear it through a very cheap amp but naturally I'm very keen to buy a proper one.
http://www.theguitarshop.com.au/amps.html

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby David Martin » Mon May 31, 2010 10:52 am

I see the Fender Blues Junior and the Vox AC15 are the same price...

:?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Next

Return to Gear