Fender Lace Sensor Views Please

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender Lace Sensor Views Please

Postby Bill Bowley » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:16 am

.... and having Strats with 'red-silver-blue' and 'gold -gold-gold' and Lace 'California' sensors I recently bought and fitted a set of Lace 'Holy Grail' sensors in a '62 re-issue Strat and I find them the best of the bunch for early '60's Strat sounds - and they have the six 'magnets' and look the part.

Hope that helps rather than confuses! :roll:

Bill Bowley

Postby Chriz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi :D

I too have considered looking at lace sensor pickups to get that sound!! However I am worried that if they are so good how come they are not fitted to new fenders?? if memory serves me correctly they used to be fitted to the Clapton model and the plus/deluxe models! I had heard fender made them because the were loosing a lot of buisness to the EMG company as ther pickups were a very popular aftermarket upgrade for a while. How come they have now been dropped :?
Any comments appreciated Chris
Chriz

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Chris,

Fender didn't 'make them', Lace did for Fender. Fender now make their own 'noisless' pickups (see what Chris Kinman has to say about that after they stuffed him around!) and therefore don't want to spend the money on Lace units. You can still buy some Fender models with Lace Sensors fitted. Read all about how Fender got involved with them in Duchoissoir's 'the Fender Stratocaster' if you want the real info. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Chriz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Bill! :D

Thanks for correcting my ignorance :oops: The trouble many of us face is that its difficult to know whether something is fashionable or genuinely good (remember when people were trading in there fenders and gibson guitars for pointy headstock monstrosities in the 80's) :? . I think there could well be political/corporate reasons behind many things in the guitar industry we are not aware of. The trouble with pickups is that you just cant go and try them out in your guitar!!! Its been a few years since i played a guitar with the lace pickups in and i wasnt overly impressed then!! However I wasn pursuing a vintage strat sound. So maybe i'll give them another test!!

Chris
Chriz

Postby Bill Bowley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Chris,

I agree with you regarding 'fashionable' objects that seem to flood the market from time to time, I doubt if there would be any one of us has not been 'taken in' by the general move to 'follow the trend''! :roll:

Seriously though, I had similar aversions to Lace Sensors for a few years for no valid reason I can think of, until I tried out a Fender Strat 'Plus Series' with the Lace Gold Sensors, and I was hooked! As far as noiseless pups go, I do have Kinmans on one guitar, but prefer the Lace, particularly the 'Holy Grails' for the vintage tone. Unlike the situation in my 'youth', I can now afford to (and do) keep a 'selection' of guitars for any sound that I fancy, from BB King 'Lucille' to Marvins (both Burns and Baldwin) to Strats to Telecasters of various kinds, however if I had to give them all up and keep only one, it would be the '62 re-issue Strat with Lace Holy Grail pickups for sure. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Tim » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 am

Only just spotted this. I have had a Strat with Gold Lace Sensors for 15 years. They sound great - real Shadows sound imo and no pick up noise. It is as others have said probably the look that has put people off.
Tim
Tim

Postby wattybluesman » Tue May 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi Derek, :D

I used a Ultra Strat Rosewood neck with Lace Sensor Pickups on all my recordings except when was playing rock'n'roll tracks for those I preferred my Telecaster with humbuckers .I have given you a link you can hear for the pickups for yourself they are also great if you are sitting near a computer as they aren't so noisy as your standard pick-ups.

WattyBluesman. ;)

P.S I love them they can really chime depending how you set your amp.
Can you not take your amp into your friendly music shop and try a guitar out loaded with sensors?

http://www.4shared.com/audio/pff2zV7Z/Telstar.html
wattybluesman

Postby OLDEREK » Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your replys, I have now got some Lace Sensors Gold, it will be a while till I am ready to fit them, too many others to try first, thanks again...............Cheers :D
OLDEREK

Postby StuartD » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi

Saw this thread and decided to buy one. I have a Musicman Silhouette and have a Little 59 Seymour Duncan in the Bridge position. I previously had 2 kinman AV63's in the other positions. I bought a Gold Lace Sensor for the middle position and it sounded great. So i then got another for the neck and it really is like a different guitar. I am playing Country Rock at the moment and it really works, so thanks for all the views. It really did help

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Previous

Return to Gear