P/UPs, trem block - where's the problem?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: P/UPs, trem block - where's the problem?

Postby rmfrance » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Thought you might like an update on my quest for a better sound on the Simon Neil Strat via a new trem unit. We'll after much angst and procrastination, I plumped for a Wilkinson 'ST-Model' unit - technically a T-WVCS-C. This has the heavy, full-sized steel inertia block and US string-spacing, so isn't a direct drop-in replacement, but it made sense for me as I now have both guitars with the same spacing, so swapping between them is much more straightforward.
Fitting the new unit: this involved drilling the existing mounting-screw holes to 6mm, then gluing in 6mm oak dowels. I then simply drilled new screw-holes holes in the new spacing and fitted the bridge - a 1hr job, with no problems (as long as you use some masking tape on the drill bit as a depth-gauge to prevent drilling too deep).
Okay, result-time: immediately fuller, more balanced sound, both acoustically and through the amp. The top strings are now more 'balanced' in tone. The unit also uses a drop-in trem arm, which has now cured any slop - once you've adjusted the tiny Allen-headed grub-screw adjuster which takes up the slack.
So, success at last (and I think the P/Us are in the clear after all)... and a highly recommended mod for all those of you with the cast 'import-spec' blocks.
rmfrance

Postby JimN » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi, Roger,

That's good to hear.

Coincidentally, I fitted a Wilkinson steel-blocked replacement trem unit (circa £27 from axes'r'us) into my SquierJagmaster, which is also fitted with much-improved pickups. The Squier did originally have a Strat type bridge of the correct shape and dimensions, but with a Mazak block - with the inevitable wearing-out, in short order, of the thread for the arm. No such problems with the pop-in version on the Wilkinson, and since I fitted a custom-shaped trem arm, that relatively cheap guitar (only a little bit dearer than a Biffy Clyro Strat) has come alive.

JN
Last edited by JimN on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RUSSET » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Roger,
Glad you managed to sort out the upgrade on your Squier 'Biffy' Strat. It must give you great satisfaction to know that you have a giggable Strat in F.Red for a very reasonable price, even with the upgrades, & that if some toerag decides to take a fancy to it, you haven't lost a valuable vintage guitar.

Cheers, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby rmfrance » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 am

Yes, indeed - and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the playability. Although the '62 is a beauty, with a narrow C-section bird's-eye maple neck (rosewood fretboard, of course), somehow the Squier just feels more instantly playable - probably a combination of the flatter camber and heavier frets. Not surprisingly, the oldie has the edge on tone, and I suspect that the Squier's visually flawless but thicker paint finish is partly to blame. But then it's also nearly 50 years younger, so time will tell!
rmfrance

Previous

Return to Gear