Help, Advice on Replacement Pup's

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Help, Advice on Replacement Pup's

Postby tonyRyman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi Everybody

I have a Squire Hank Marvin Strat that is original, it sounds quite tinny compared to other guitars !!.
I have been advised to Replace the pup's with Seymour Duncan California SSL 1 Vintage 50 Pup's .
My question from info gained on this web site is , would these Seymour Duncan Pup's be a better option than custom shop 57/62 pups.

Toy
tonyRyman

Full Real Name: Anthony Ryman

Re: Help, Advice on Replacement Pup's

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Did the person who advised you to opt for the SD pickups give you a reason for his recommendation?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby tonyRyman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Jim
Thanks for the reply.

He recommended them as he thought the 57/62 might be a bit bright, he had fitted SD Pup's to one of his own strats, and it sounded heaps better than my Squire.

Many thanks

Tony
tonyRyman

Postby dave robinson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Tony, I have Strats' fitted with Fender 57/62s as well as one with Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's and they all sound terrific. I also have Seymours on my Jazzmaster and again they're great. Alan Jones has Seymours on both his basses and they too sound great. I don't know about the Seymours that have been recommended to you though, but I know they will be good from past experience. Good luck with your choice. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby tonyRyman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Dave
Many thanks for the reply. Information gained from the SD Web Site suggests that the Alnico Pro II's would be abetter option than the SD California 50's Strat Set SSL-1.
The Alnico Pro II's are available in flat configuration and staggered, which version did you go for and is the neck radius important?. Is the flat set for 12 inch radius necks etc ?

Regards
Tony
tonyRyman

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 pm

My Seymour Alnico Pro II's have staggered pole pieces as the guitar they are fitted to is a '62 reissue.
I believe that the flat pole pieces should be suitable for the flatter radius neck profile. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Gear