Amplifier loudness

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Amplifier loudness

Postby Graylion » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Nah - sorry Bob, you're wrong! We can blame Mr. Bell for the silly sound behavior, Mr. Newton for the Laws of Gravity and Mr. Einstein for not letting us go faster than the speed of light! :lol:

Anyway, it seems an odd and illogical thing to say that a 5 watt amp is only half the volume of a 50 watt. People who buy 100 watt amps think they are getting one which is twice as loud as a 50 watt! They would be very disappointed to know that it isn't so. Again, this is with all things being more or less equal; speaker sensitivities etc. I think you might find that the majority of musicians, guitarists etc. are ignorant of the physics of power and volume - apart from the well-informed members of this site of course!

Thanks for the info Didier - I knew you would have it! ;)
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby cockroach » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:10 am

What about the nut holding the wheel?

I've been getting told off for being too loud in a band setting for YEARS, even when using small tranny practice amps, or even when using an ACOUSTIC guitar.....
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimTidmarsh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:42 pm

In case anyone's interested, I've just arrived home having purchased a VOX AC30 CC2 (2x12") and it sounds great !!!!!

Just what I wanted.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby des mcneill » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm

cockroach wrote:What about the nut holding the wheel?

I've been getting told off for being too loud in a band setting for YEARS, even when using small tranny practice amps, or even when using an ACOUSTIC guitar.....

I take it you are a bass player??
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby des mcneill » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Good news ,Jim, hope you enjoy.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Previous

Return to Gear