Vox AC30 vintage sound

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vox AC30 vintage sound

Postby Tab » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Has anyone compared the sound of a modern AC30 with a unit such as the ARIAB or Gemini III to a Heritage or Vox that has been retro'd?

If so how do they compare?
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: Vox AC30 vintage sound

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 pm

A modern AC30CC series Vox will sound like it's 60's top boost equivalent
if set up correctly. If like mine it has an EF86 preamp in it will also sound like
a vox ac30/4.

The AC30 Heritage will also sound like a 60's AC30, both the /4 and /6 versions.

A lot of it is in the settings!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm

This is something I've allways wondered !..........When the last five UK Vox AC 30's were built they were finished in Red Tolex, I was told by a lot of so called experts these would go up in value because of the manufacturing moving to China...........I had the second to last one, but sold it after a while....So this question from Terry is most interesting, because it seems the Sale of these amps from China has realy taken off, and are they just as good as a UK (Marshall) built ones, of course if you are selling one it maybe a different story..........By the way, the third from last UK made Red One was dropped on delivery to Peter Cooks and taken back by Vox and scrapped, it was last seen in a waste skip............... :(
OLDEREK

Postby des mcneill » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Amanda wrote:A modern AC30CC series Vox will sound like it's 60's top boost equivalent
if set up correctly. If like mine it has an EF86 preamp in it will also sound like
a vox ac30/4.

The AC30 Heritage will also sound like a 60's AC30, both the /4 and /6 versions.

A lot of it is in the settings!

Amanda

This is an interesting point,Amanda, as yet I have not heard either of the amps you mention sound as good as the old ones,albeit possibly because the settings were not right despite every effort being made to do so. The advantage of the older amps is that the option of ruining the sound is very limited,you have to try very hard to do so. Over the past couple of years I have heard side by side comparisions on several occasions and noticed quite a difference,- in a live band situation not a test,- and I am quite sure the guys on the newer amps thought they had "that sound". Only my opinion of course but with the old amps you just plug in and play !
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby dave robinson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 pm

I love the phrase 'Just plug in and play' - it has been my opinion all along that most folks tend to be picky about controls on amplifiers and fail to understand that a Vox AC15 or AC30/4, which made those fantastic sounds that we all love, were just plain, simple amplifiers with a volume knob, 'bright' switch and 'cut' control and any echo and a Strat in the right hands would deliver a magical Shadows sound.

The new amps do sound right with the right adjustment - I have several old and new ones to compare, if folks are getting it wrong, then it has to be 'pilot error'. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby des mcneill » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Glad you understand my point,Dave. I have a few guys come to my house tonight,-one will bring a Binson in perfect working order,a 63 Strat and he will plug in to one of my old AC30s(almost any Strat will do ) and the sound will be awsome. Whether it is "That Sound" is a matter of opinion but it is a great sound and so easily achieved. It is not unusual for the rest of us to just look at the amp while we are playing,spellbound by the sound. I most admit,however that the Binson makes almost anything sound good but the Vox just adds that little bit more. I realise some people have the knack of playing with amp controls and could end up with good sounds but the rest of us are doomed. If I didn't have my originals I would have to consider the JMI. We have used all sorts of echo units and the sounds are good(even with digital although that would never be my choice) and all sorts of guitars,it just doesn't seem to matter,- the sounds are different but usually good.
Des.
des mcneill

Postby Martyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Interesting topic and one I was discussing today with a friend. I was saying how I'm searching (as I suspect are many others) for ways of simulating the sound of a VoxAC30/15 using a Tonelab and/or other such equipment and the conclusion we reached (whether or not correct) was that the significant missing component was 'volume'. Played through any domestic recording apparatus/computer/hi-fi etc, we concluded that no Vox amp simulator can really compete with the real thing played quite loud.
An AC30/15 at acceptably low domestic volume settings, such as when tried out at low volume in a shop, is OK but sounds much the same as any amp to me - until the volume's cranked up. Then everything changes, and I can readily appreciate that because when I play through one or other of these amps at our Shads club gatherings my guitar comes to life and really sounds as I'd like. Come home and play through the computer etc and the sound's gone away again. So is it really that basic and simple, do you think? Am I really on a futile quest trying to get that elusive sound using other methods, when only the real amps can do it when cranked up loud?
Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby dave robinson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:24 pm

In my living room I have a pair of Carillon AM 08 active speakers connected to a Yamaha MG102C mixer, which I bought so that I could plug in my computer and listen to music. I did this and then connected my Magicstomp and after tweaking, almost 100% replicated the sound from my Vox amplifiers - even at low level. Therefore all of this talk about having to be loud is mis-information and one needn't buy an expensive amp for home use, as long as you know what you're doing. Several folks from this site have witnessed this, they may wish to confirm.:idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Amanda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi,

An example of a simple amp is the Fender Pro Junior, I've just repaired Jimbo (Old Fart's ) pro junior
today and what a great sound it is and loud too!

Dead simple 2 x ECC83 and 2 EL84's, one volume and one tone control!

If you think a binson and an old AC30 sonds good then you want to hear
Justin's Meazzi through the 1962 AC15 amp I have here.

Regards

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby des mcneill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Amanda wrote:Hi,

An example of a simple amp is the Fender Pro Junior, I've just repaired Jimbo (Old Fart's ) pro junior
today and what a great sound it is and loud too!

Dead simple 2 x ECC83 and 2 EL84's, one volume and one tone control!

If you think a binson and an old AC30 sonds good then you want to hear
Justin's Meazzi through the 1962 AC15 amp I have here.

Regards

Amanda

Hi Amanda,
I would certainly like to hear Justins Meazzi through the AC15. I love the Binson sound but rate the Meazzi even higher,just don't have one! Even with the gear I have,for which I am thankful, I would still lust after a Meazzi. There is nothing wrong with a simple amp,who needs more than one volume and tone control ? In fact do you need a tone control ? Remove the trem circuit from an AC30 and surely you're not that far away.
Des.
des mcneill

Next

Return to Gear