Vintage style synchronized tremolo

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vintage style synchronized tremolo

Postby RUSSET » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Reggie,
Yes, these Squier 'Classic Vibe' series are the exception to the rule as far as modern Squiers go. The basic models are the usual budget starter guitars, but this range is definitely a step above, & well worth it. I hadn't noticed that you were in Oz, so naturally thought you had the same access to the kit we have over here in UK. My mate had a 'Classic Vibe' '60s model last year ( you know, the sunburst one with the Tortoiseshell scratchplate ) & it blew me away when I saw the quality for price. They were advertised as a compliment to the famous '80s Squier 'JV series' & having owned one of those in the past, I will say that they aren't too far behind it. I got my steel trem block via my mate, who had ordered some from a bloke he knows who actually makes them here in UK. Yes, Callaham of the US are the ultimate in Strat bridge/ trem replacements & have an excellent reputation for quality of materials & accuracy. They are rather expensive here in the UK, but I don't know how Oz prices compare. Just beware that you must obtain a Trem block or bridge unit that fits your Strat model. The far East dimensions are very slightly smaller than the usual USA dimensions, so may not fit & the screw threads are different too. I believe the far East may be more compatible with Mexico sizes. If you are upgrading the whole bridge unit it shouldn't be a problem, but if you are looking to just the trem block, be aware & investigate the sizes, threads etc. first. A Gotoh unit may be the way to Go ... To .... ha, ha ..... er, sorry .

Best Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby George Lewis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Reggie (and heads up Bill, time to do some more window shopping),
I have a Fender Mex Strat (pre 2004), Jap Squire (57-62 pups), a Partscaster (with Tonerider vintage pups) and a new Squire Classic vibe.
Changed the pot metal block on the Classic vibe which is EXACTLY the same as the Fender Mex, for an old Callaham SS block (asked Bill Callaham for the new Delrin inserts which he supplied free of charge). Added a little grub screw and no probs with arm play.
The finish on the Squire is first class and quite frankly apart from the standard bridge pup tone mod, it's hard to be bothered to do anything else to it.

Cheers
George
George Lewis

Postby dagon1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 am

RUSSET wrote: Yes, Callaham of the US are the ultimate in Strat bridge/ trem replacements & have an excellent reputation for quality of materials & accuracy. They are rather expensive here in the UK, but I don't know how Oz prices compare. Just beware that you must obtain a Trem block or bridge unit that fits your Strat model. The far East dimensions are very slightly smaller than the usual USA dimensions, so may not fit & the screw threads are different too. I believe the far East may be more compatible with Mexico sizes. If you are upgrading the whole bridge unit it shouldn't be a problem, but if you are looking to just the trem block, be aware & investigate the sizes, threads etc. first. A Gotoh unit may be the way to Go ... To .... ha, ha ..... er, sorry .

Best Regards, Tony.

Hi Tony,
I'm not really the"money is no objection" type and therefore will look into the VFM (value for money) - keeping in the tradition of this Squire model. I will consult my local guitar shop fellas to help me out on this and find a suitable fix. Is Gotoh better than Wilkinsons ?
dagon1

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Reggie,

Remember that $235AUD (about 90PNDS UK) is for the complete unit ready to fit, claw, arm springs and all - and its about as good as it gets. It will cost more than a Gotoh or Wilkinson, but its a one off purchase with a lot more going for it IMHO. And, if you change your mind and sell the Squire sometime you can replace the original trem unit and keep the Callaham for the next Mex Strat you use it on -or even sell it (Callahan) and recover a large percentage of your original outlay - they are a sought after item.

On the subject of Gotoh, they make excellent 'Kluson' like locking tuners for Strats, easy fit and look the part - I have them on two Strats at the moment. Worth a thought IMHO.
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:07 pm

George Lewis wrote:Hi Reggie (and heads up Bill, time to do some more window shopping),
I have a Fender Mex Strat (pre 2004), Jap Squire (57-62 pups), a Partscaster (with Tonerider vintage pups) and a new Squire Classic vibe.
Changed the pot metal block on the Classic vibe which is EXACTLY the same as the Fender Mex, for an old Callaham SS block (asked Bill Callaham for the new Delrin inserts which he supplied free of charge). Added a little grub screw and no probs with arm play.
The finish on the Squire is first class and quite frankly apart from the standard bridge pup tone mod, it's hard to be bothered to do anything else to it.

Cheers
George

George,

I take it you kept the old trem arm, hence the need for the 'little grub screw'? I find the Callaham Trem arms have no slack at all in the Callaham blocks I have. :(
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Reggie,

If you want to keep costs down and just buy a good block, have a look at this bloke in UK - about $40AUD plus postage.

EBay Item number 150418262669 will find him. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby dagon1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:Reggie,

If you want to keep costs down and just buy a good block, have a look at this bloke in UK - about $40AUD plus postage.

EBay Item number 150418262669 will find him. ;)

Thanks Bill. I'll probably get that 'bloke' in UK' on Ebay which seems to have similar specs to Callaham's. :roll: ;)
I'm making some inquiries to re: compatibilty etc.
dagon1

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Reggie,

Those blocks from UK look good - not 'cold rolled steel' though, but I would think the difference in sound would be hard to pick with my ears anyway!

I had a look at the the Squier 'Classic Vibe' - looks good, perhaps a 'rebranded' Mex Fender in reality? ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:07 pm

Speaking of the rare USA Squiers, here's one on EBay in Adelaide at the moment - item No 160408886517
Seems to be a 'sub culture' developing in Squiers methinks!
The seller has provided a YouTube clip, interesting sounds IMHO. ;)

Bill Bowley

Postby panchodiaz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Bill,

All my guitars have Callaham bridges but I bought a block from that guy in UK and I can say it seems to have the same quality as the Callaham´s ones. I think it is cold rolled steel IMO.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

PreviousNext

Return to Gear