Lose tone when you reduce volume?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Lose tone when you reduce volume?

Postby David Martin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 am

Try this... it works well

trebleBleed_tip.pdf
(93.86 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times

See here for bits http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_078.htm
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Lose tone when you reduce volume?

Postby ScouserJoe » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks for this David, a very useful tip and a good way to subtely change tone. I work the volume control of my Strats anywhere between 7 and 10 depending upon how much treble I want to add to the sound. The volume can be compensated for on some amps (and certainly the AC30 Heritage I use) by changing between inputs. I think the rear input is 6db quieter than the front, so a combination of guitar volume/amp input usually gives a decent balance. For example I found using the volume set to 10 gave the right sound for 'Theme from Shane' which is very treble, but I use the volume set to 8 with exactly the same amp settings for 'Find Me a Golden Street'.

If anyone hasn't tried this technique it's worth experimentation. It's yet another of the many variables which I think are needed to be programmed in to get 'That Sound'.
ScouserJoe

Postby David Martin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:02 am

Interesting...

I was setting up my Vox and echo this morning listening to Apache... Using my EF86 channel, the slightly muffled tones of the original are best duplicated with guitar volume at 7, whereas MoM require flat out scream!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ScouserJoe » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:40 am

Hi David,

That's exactly where I work with Apache - EF86 Channel with the 56 NOS Strat volume set to 7 !! Yes, Man of Mystery set to 10, similarly FBI, Mustang, The Stranger, Midnight and others. On the other hand Kon-Tiki, Golden Street and Wonderful Land for example to my ears sound better with 7 to 8. Nothing else gets changed.
ScouserJoe

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 pm

I've noticed the same as you guys over the last few years and used this method to great effect. However, not all of my Strats' work this way and I need to rectify the ones that don't.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby scotocaster » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm

dave robinson wrote:I've noticed the same as you guys over the last few years and used this method to great effect. However, not all of my Strats' work this way and I need to rectify the ones that don't.

Hi Dave, the ones that DON'T do it.... what do they do?, just curious. Scott
scotocaster

Postby rogera » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:37 am

With a guitar that is not fitted with a treble bleed capacitor, (this is most guitars) as you turn down the volume control you find that the sound loses some treble as if you were also turning down the tone control.

Fitting the capacitor that David has shown details of prevents this, and the tone of the guitar remains constant as the volume is reduced.

I would add though that for those that like the older sound that Hank had in the early 60s it's very unlikely that he had such a modification fitted to his guitar.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Bojan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:17 am

I have fitted my guitar with a treble bleed capacitor, but at the same time, I have modified the tone pots so that the neck and middle pickup tone is controlled by the first tone pot and the bridge pickup tone is regulated by the second tone pot. I find that this arrangement gives me excellent possibilities for adjusting tone on all pickups, and at the same time, my volume pot controls only the volume.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby cockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:08 pm

I have found that most Fender type guitars, including copies, have volume controls that work OK, with little or no loss of treble when turned down...although the capacitor does help too, if fitted- don't bother trying it with the average humbucker equipped guitar though!

I mucked around at our little local Shads club meeting a couple of weeks ago having a go at "Sacha"with a backing track- using me Chinese Squier Tele and me new (secondhand!) Marshall MG50DX- hi gain channel with echo/chorus for the bridge part, but then I backed the guitar volume off for the acoustic main theme part-got an amazing clean, almost acoustic tone, then that edgy sustain for the bridge parts, with just a quick twist of the volume knob-no need to change guitars!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to Gear