Solder iron for pickups change

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Solder iron for pickups change

Postby leddo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:02 am

I've got a dead pickup in a Strat and need to change it for a new one. Can anyone who has done this sort of thing before tell me what soldering iron and wire they use and where they got them from.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Re: Solder iron for pickups change

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:04 pm

For soldering the odd connection in old-tech gear like guitar circuitry, the choice of iron isn't all that critical. I've been using the same one for fifty years and it was only cheap to begin with.

This one looks perfectly adequate... iron with temperature control, a stand, choice of bits, a supply of the requisite multicore solder, even a pair of heat-resistant tweezers - and all for £12 delivered within a couple of days (tomorrow if you're an Amazon prime member)..

https://tinyurl.com/tjbz7vbm
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby pjr » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:06 pm

And before you actually change the pickup, reflow i.e. resolder the existing joints on the pickup and the (normally) white wire that goes to the pickup selector switch as it may just be a dodgy solder joint.

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby leddo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:29 pm

The pickup is a goner. Luckily, it's the middle one which no one ever uses.
Thanks for the info Jim, I'll have a look at that one. I actually have an older solder iron but I think it has packed in as well.
leddo

Postby RogerCook » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:23 pm

I use this one but shop around for best prices!

https://www.antex.co.uk/store/p/m12-w9wdk
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:57 pm

Most importantly, make sure that all parts to be soldered are cleaned by roughing up with an abrasive to expose "clean" metal and use flux or fluxed solder. Plenty of good tutorials on Youtube.
Shadbarmy1

Full Real Name: Mike Teaman

Postby RayL » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:23 pm

If you have access to North London, Cricklewood Electronics on Cricklewood Broadway will have soldering irons.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby David Martin » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:59 am

leddo wrote:The pickup is a goner. Luckily, it's the middle one which no one ever uses.
Thanks for the info Jim, I'll have a look at that one. I actually have an older solder iron but I think it has packed in as well.

No one ever uses the middle pickup? Except me and Hank....

Anyone else?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:50 pm

David Martin wrote:
leddo wrote:The pickup is a goner. Luckily, it's the middle one which no one ever uses.

Anyone else?

Actually, I've never found much use for the Strat or Marvin centre pickup. I even have a Gibson ES-5 ("Switchmaster") with three '57 Classics and tend to have the middle pickup set to zero on its volume control.

Think about the best guitars in the world (other than the Strat-type). Invariably, they have two pickups (and sometimes only one).

Oh dear... I wish my L5-CES had another pickup in the middle position... said nobody at all, ever.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby leddo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:05 pm

David Martin wrote:

Anyone else?

It took me ages to realise it wasn"t working
leddo

Next

Return to Gear