Boss DM-101 Analogue Delay & Space Echo RE-202

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Boss DM-101 Analogue Delay & Space Echo RE-202

Postby dave robinson » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:55 pm

Just ordered the Boss DM-101 to check out from Gear4Music, it offers great options in the 'right' areas for Shadows music and I want to have a look at it. Sounds amazingly good and authentic on the demos I've watched and It's got four virtual heads that can be grouped to taste to achieve the Meazzi patterns or Binson and many others. There's plenty of selection choice with modulation and dirt that can be added too, so I look forward to pitting it against the Strymon Volante that I adore and fully expect stiff competition, as Boss are making terrific kit as usual. I'll report here when I know more, expecting it tomorrow. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Boss DM-101 Analogue Delay

Postby dave robinson » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:29 pm

OK it arrived and I had I quick play with it and as expected it sounds good. I quickly selected patterns that I'm familiar with for The Shadows big hits and Apache / Man of Mystery/ FBI / Frightened City et al are all present with heads 1 / 3 & 4 selected and the correct speed and feedback applied.
However, The Wonderful Land / Kon Tiki/ Atlantis / Savage etc - Echomatic 2 pattern was not as successful to achieve, because there is no control over individual head levels which affects the sound greatly.
All four heads are set at one level which makes it impossible to get the correct sound for those tracks.
With that disappointment, I boxed it up for a return and needless to say I wouldn't recommend it for Shadows players. :cry:
I have sent for the Boss RE-202 to have a look at and hope there's a bit more empathy with the user interface on that one.
I do have the Strymon Volante which is a similar sized pedal and that does all the things that I wish this did. So far the Strymon is way out in front for Shadows music. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Re: Boss DM-101 Analogue Delay

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:42 pm

The Boss RE-202 landed half an hour ago and I set it up for 'Apache' no problem and it sounds great.
Once again the problem is getting the correct Echomatic 2 parameters for the 'Wonderful Land' pattern that is also used for 'Kon Tiki' 'The Savage' and lots of other titles.
You need level control and head spacing control to get the right 'feel' and sadly Boss have missed a trick by not including any editing to do this, unlike the Strymon Volante that allows perfect echo patterns for Shadows music.
That said, I can't recommend the RE-202 for accurate echoes for Shadows music.
I always embrace new gear and if it's something that is of interest and related to what I do, I like to know it's capabilities in case it could be of use to me. This enables me to help with any questions that are thrown up by people needing advice or help. I'm fortunate in having owned the machines that do the job and have something to compare with.
I have seen that the Boss RE-202 is an excellent clone of the Roland RE-201 tape echo and more, it's a great machine, but for me it can't replace the Strymon Volante so will be returned forthwith. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Return to Gear