Strat Trem/Vibrato ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Strat Trem/Vibrato ?

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:09 pm

I've just ordered a "Wilkinson" vibrato bridge unit from Amazon for my recently acquired "project" Strat. The original trem arm thread was stripped in the block (so that would be why it didn't come with a trem arm!), so was looking around for an upgrade or a similar unit. Having used the threaded arms before and always found them to be floppy, unless wrapped regularly with plumbers PTFE tape, I fancied a slot in, with an adjuster for tension. This one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilkinson-52-5 ... B084ZFJWTJ) is exactly the same size (52.5mm) and has the slot in version. Cheap as chips (on its way from China!!!) so worth a punt, before I go spending a fortune on a bitsa! Unfortunately, the adjuster is in the block, so the block needs to be removed to tweak it. The "strat" is based on a Cougar Guitar Company offering (one of two "strat copies" that I picked up) and didn't turn out to be half bad, once everything was cleaned, lubed and set up properly (shame about the absent whammy bar and stripped fixing!). The truss rod was just sitting loosely in the neck slot. Once adjusted it was fine. If the "Wilkinson" doesn't cut the mustard, I may need more advice and/or suggestions! Mike
Shadbarmy1

Full Real Name: Mike Teaman

Re: Strat Trem/Vibrato ?

Postby chaddopete » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:30 pm

I've got a couple of Strats with these Wilkinson trem blocks. Never needed to adjust tension on them in 10 yrs., but I'm sure you can get at the adjuster with an Allen Key by Dive Bombing the trem and the adjuster is there just behind the arm entry point.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Pete
chaddopete

Full Real Name: Pete Wilson

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:56 pm

That's a brilliant idea! Hopefully I can do 10 years too? How tight/loose is the arm? Should it move freely, have a bit of resistance or need to be pushed/pulled a bit? The screw in ones that I have used have varied from sloppy to tight and have all worn on the threads with use. :?:
Shadbarmy1

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:33 pm

Pete's advice is right on the nail.

I've been using a Wilkinson replacement trem bridge (with push-fit arm - no thread) in a Squier Jagmaster for over twenty years and it is as he says - one rarely needs to adjust the arm tension once it's been set.

The Wilkinson model I bought (I got it from Axes'R'Us) has a steel inertia block. The URL you linked to doesn't say whether the block is steel or alloy. As you are aware, an alloy block gives problems when a screw has to be tightened into it. Is your block magnetic (an indication of its being steel, of course)?
Last edited by JimN on Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:47 pm

I haven't got the replacement yet. It's in transit! (not a van!) I've also ordered some Wilkinson EZ Loc tuners as one of the old ones seemed to be binding a little. There seems to be a divergence of opinion on those, so will have to wait and see. I've taken all the gloss off the neck too, as i prefer a non-slip grip, despite the "grubbier" look. I may just give it a bit of clear beeswax to protect it. As they say, "Don't Throw it all Away" and "Dance On"!
Mike
Shadbarmy1

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:59 pm

Here's a "before" pic:-

It doesn't have to be a "Hankaster" ( https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/ ... onversion/) but hopefully it will be playable!
Shadbarmy1

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:19 pm

I've fitted the new Wilkinson Ezy Loc tuners (had to take the holes out to 10mm) and they are much more positive than the sloppy and notchy (budget) originals. I've also ordered a couple of roller string trees as the originals had sharp edges and would definitely make things worse, rather than better! (Rock and rollers!) ;)
Shadbarmy1

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:57 pm

"Pop in" trem and bridge arrived yesterday, so fitted today. Great bit of kit. The "gravity defying" trem is very welcome. Just letting it all settle, then final tune and a polish! The Ezy Loc tuners are "easy", once you remember which hole to use first to get the correct angle.
Shadbarmy1

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:37 pm

I bought a trem/bridge replacement 18 months ago, but the screw holes did not line up with the existing holes in my 2004'ish MIM stratocaster. I didn't fancy attacking my strat with a drill, in case I damaged it!! So the replacement is still in a cupboard.
Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:11 pm

Simplest thing in the world to fill and re-drill a few screw holes! I've done it many times.

By a strange coincidence, I too have a Cougar Strat, here's what's left of it; by an even stranger coincidence, it's fitted with a Wilkinson trem.

1small.jpg

As you may gather, the photo was taken at Christmas!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Next

Return to Gear