Boss EQ 200

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Boss EQ 200

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:17 pm

Just a quick mention of this pedal, the Boss EQ200, I got my hands on one today and can confirm that one can easily obtain that magical tone of Hank's early recordings with careful use of it - recommended ! :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Boss EQ 200

Postby scouserjoe2 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:02 pm

Hi,

I agree with Dave; this is a very useful pedal which I bought a year or so ago having watched some videos by Ronnie Gustafsson. Careful adjustment of the various EQ levels across the mid range does help you produce those tones Hank produced in those early years. 'Careful' is the very much the word here; extreme settings can lead to significantly higher noise and distortion.

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:07 am

Thanks for confirming that Ian, it's a great tool for lots of other applications as well and many other instruments can benefit from it as well.
So far I have tried it on the lead guitar and found those all important tones that are inherent with the Gemini III pedal but it's also a useful gain tool should you wish to go 'heavy', as well as enhancing the acoustic guitar , bass & keyboards by using different patterns that can be stored. I have tried various EQ pedals over the past few years to get the early Hank tone and all were good, but this one for me offers the best value due to it's storage ability. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:37 am

I have the Boss EQ 20 which this seems to be the upgrade of, same EQ bands and 9 presets.

I personally found the MXR 10 band and Caline equivalent had EQ bands better suited to guitar after using both , but still have the EQ20 which isn't too bad overall. The presets are convenient. Do not recall having distortion issues with it, but if you boost levels that would increase gain , which you should be able to compensate with by reducing the gain control on most EQ pedals.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby shadphil » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:07 pm

I have the Boss EQ 200 and after a while tweaking it i can really get some of those old shadows tones that have been missing, im really impressed and being able to store them is a real bonus.
i am using a small midi controller that i already had and it works well. Phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Return to Gear