Laptop query

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Laptop query

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:08 pm

My laptop is getting past its best and needs replacing, not surprising as I bought it in 2009!

So I'm looking at a new one, but the problem is this: none of the ones I'm looking at seem to have a mic or line input. So How do I get audio in? Currently, I just run a cable from the output on the recorder (twin phono sockets, left and right) which terminates in a 3.5mm stereo jack plug. Plug it into the input socket and my mixdown gets recorded on the hard disk, using either Wave Repair or Audacity.

So now I'm faced with a laptop with several USB sockets, but nothing else, what on earth do I do?
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: Quick query

Postby RogerCook » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:17 pm

Modern laptops seem to be very poorly spec'd, no dvd drives, poor variety of inputs etc. Irritating isn't it? However the answer to your problem is an external audio interface that connects via usb and handles all the digital to analog an vice versa requirements. I use one of these but there are lots to choose from.

https://www.behringer.com/behringer/pro ... Code=P0BJZ
Last edited by RogerCook on Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby JimN » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:14 pm

After a couple of years of frustration caused deliberately by Microsoft (who engineer current versions of Windows so as to make "line-in" recordings really difficult), I am now using a Tascam DR-05X audio recorder for recording digitally from all sources (vinyl, tape, microphones via small mixer, etc). It then links from its micro-USB socket to a PC (or laptop) and allows copying of the recorded file/files (wav format) to the computer hard drive (for editing / improving in the wave editor of your choice.

There's even a way of using the DR-05X as a straight-through digital audio interface as described by Roger (instructions in the accompanying book, which I prefer never to read!).

The recorder, which renders all high-end reel-to-reel recorders totally obsolete, costs about £85 at Amazon.co.uk. You'd also need a micro-USB - USB B lead and a micro-SD card (I got 64Gb for about £6 at Amazon).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:31 pm

Indeed a problem with simplicity these days.
Recently looked at a new Panasonic DVD / Hard drive recorder.
No rear jack audio outputs fitted for simple connection to an external amplifier!!!
Dont mention the words printed instruction manual to any sales staff in a well known
electrical chain store- they are too busy gossiping in a huddle to go and look for one from
display model.
Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimN » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:07 pm

anniv 63 wrote:Indeed a problem with simplicity these days.
Recently looked at a new Panasonic DVD / Hard drive recorder.
No rear jack audio outputs fitted for simple connection to an external amplifier!!!
Dont mention the words printed instruction manual to any sales staff in a well known
electrical chain store- they are too busy gossiping in a huddle to go and look for one from
display model.
Mike

By far the worst thing about new DVD-R / HDD recorders is that it's impossible to find one with an analog-in port, meaning that you can now only record from Freeview (with a new machine)!

So no making archive copies from a Sky box any more (not that the new-ish Sky Q box has any analog-out ports anyway). And no making DVDs from your own home videos. At least, not via a new DVD-R / HDD recorder with a Freeview tuner.

Why don't Sky - or some third-party manufacturer - do a Q Box with an integral DVD-R drive and the software to allow editing of programme material?
JimN

Postby Garystrat » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:35 pm

Hi Steve,

From what you are saying I think you may be able to do it with a simple lead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KiwiBird-Adapt ... 774&sr=8-3

However, an audio interface should give you better results, if you are considering this option I would tend to go for one that has good driver/software support for whatever OS you will be using, The medium to higher price offerings are also likely to have a higher quality DAC (Digital to Audio Converters), these will give lower latency and improved sound with all the potential connectivity you may need. Personally I have found Focusrite to be very good value/performance and they provide really good technical phone support if needed:

https://focusrite.com

The one I use is the Clarret 2 Pre USB, which have found to be better than one of the much more expensive ones I used in the past (they stopped driver support and it ended up an expensive paper weight)!

Hi Jim,

I suspect this is due to copyright protection!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:21 pm

It's all designed to stop people 'stealing' copyrighted work.
It's been coming a long time because we've had it easy being able to copy and edit other people's work.
As has been said, there may be ways around it by using interfaces , if you know what you are doing. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:26 pm

Whatever copyright protection is afforded by the downgrading of access to DVD-R machines, it doesn't apply to:

BBC / ITV / C4 / Channel Five / Sky News and nearly a hundred other channels, all available on Freeview!
JimN

Postby Teflon » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:27 pm

Maybe worth noting, if you use a Zoom G3X for echos etc, it has a built in audio interface, so can be used for recording direct to pc/laptop.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby JimTidmarsh » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:42 am

JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Next

Return to Gear