Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Postby TimRyland » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:24 am

I had a feeling the Zoom G5n, G3n and G1Four all share the same basic effects. I think the main difference is the number of patches you can have, how many effects in each patch and the general physical differences. I must admit when I had the G1Four and G3n, I couldn’t really tell any difference.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:42 am

Hi Tim, the Zoom G5n is the largest version of what is basically the same platform, the G3 an the two smaller ones that I did echo patches for last year sound identical. My G5n just offers more options in numbers of patches available ag a time in front of me on screen. So the answer to your question is yes, the echoes are the same.
Because we now use Roland's new electronic drums that look like a real kit, I have recently been experimenting with 'in ear' monitoring and having all the band's instruments D.I. into the PA with a tiny back line to give us a quiet stage experience.
I'm going back to the Zoom on stage as I have got it sounding almost identical to what the Kemper Stage offers and it has a built in pedal, rather than having to add one as I do with the Kemper. I understand that the Kemper is a superior bit of kit, but what is important to me is what it does for me by way of he overall sound and the Zoom and Vox Tonelab LE still tick the boxes for live gigs.
I use my TVS3 in the studio and for any Shadows special shows that we may do, but for the pub and club scene, the Zoom does he job admirably. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 pm

Dave great sounds, its amazing just a small thing can produce a sound like that. Only goes to show size can matter. Going of topic slightly im going to start recording with the mv50 at sometime is it best to use the EQ on the recording software
or still use a separate graphic thanks phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:54 pm

shadphil wrote:Dave great sounds, its amazing just a small thing can produce a sound like that. Only goes to show size can matter. Going of topic slightly im going to start recording with the mv50 at sometime is it best to use the EQ on the recording software
or still use a separate graphic thanks phil

I used nothing other than the Gain which was set to 0 - Tone 10 o clock - Volume 10 o clock. No additional tone or effects on the Zoom G5n, only the appropriate echo patch. You don't need graphics and gadgets. They didn't exist back then and the only additional tone colouring would have been added at the mixing desk. On my little Yamaha MG 102c desk I rolled back the treble to 9 0 clock and the bass to 9 o clock, leaving the MID prominent. The sound you hear is coming from a pair of active Carillon 8" monitors.
Hope this helps. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Previous

Return to Gear