Joyo AC Tone

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Joyo AC Tone

Postby Phrygian » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:55 pm

Has anyone here used the AC Tone pedal with a BF Fender amp? I'm curious as to how to set the tone controls on the Fender to match up with the pedal.
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Re: Joyo AC Tone

Postby artyman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:10 pm

I've used an AC Tone pedal into the return of my Fender Mustang III so it's only using the power amp side. All O'clock Low 10 Mid 2, High 9:30 Level 3 Voice 9 Drive 9, My chain is Guitar- Blue Nebula -Ac Tone -Fender Mustang
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Advice is usually to set your amp tones as 'flat'. That's very easy on something like a PA mixer that has cut or boost with a zero at centre, but it's a bit of a minefield with some guitar amps. I'd start at 12 o'clock and then adjust each one to find a position that doesn't increase or decrease the effect. If you have an amp with an FX loop feed it into the return as Ken suggested, that way your amp's tone controls are out of the equation.

The Joyo Actone works best with an FRFR device such as a PA or acoustic amp.

Len
Last edited by Stu's Dad on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Phrygian » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:10 pm

My hope is to get close to the sound of an AC30 using a BF Super Reverb. The SR has a middle tone control. The closest it will get to "flat' is to turn bass and treble all the way down, and middle all the way up. Not a setting that would normally be used. I ordered the AC Tone and am interested to see if this experiment will produce the desired result.

If this doesn't work out, I have a Spark that I believe can be set very close to flat.
Phrygian

Postby Phrygian » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:02 pm

The AC Tone was delivered yesterday and I gave it a short tryout last night. I will preface my remarks by saying I have never owned a Vox amp, and while I am familiar with the design of the AC15 and AC30, I don't have much experience playing through either and using the controls. The AC Tone going into a BF Super Reverb produces tones that I don't get with any BF Fender amp. I'm not quite sure how to describe the sound I settled on last night but I would say the attack sort of barked or crackled in a good way. I look forward to more experimentation.

In the meantime, I would be interested to hear from those of you who use an AC Tone. What are your starting settings of the knobs? Thanks to Ken who has already done so.
Phrygian

Return to Gear