katana amp/marshall origin 5

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: katana amp/marshall origin 5

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 pm

The 100w has two more channels, a Presence control and a Cab Resonance switch. It also has a few more jack sockets on the back - FX loop, Line Out etc. I think it would make a superior gigging amp, especially if you have the head and cab set up and you can just use the head with its 5" speaker for practice. I'm well past gigging so I'm perfectly happy with the 50w, and I don't think you'll be disappointed Chris.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm

What we need to know is if it can be hooked up to the computer on Boss Tone Studio and are the same facilities in there that are on the 100 version in order to be able to get the same benefits. The external side of it and the extra power doesn't really matter for home use. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby petercreasey » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Last edited by petercreasey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:00 am

I would like to have the Katana 50w connected up to Boss Tone Studio just to see if the same parameters are available and if they are, then you will be able to make echo patches with four editable heads. What I have noticed though is that there is no facility to connect the GA-FC as you can on the larger amps.
I'll try and find out from the manual if it's doable and report back here. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby artyman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:21 am

You can connect the Katana 50 to the Boss Tone Studio, the GAFC footswitch isn't required, just need a cable with the suitable USB plugs. I would be interested in your experiments on this amp for the ever elusive search for 'That Sound'
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:01 am

artyman wrote:You can connect the Katana 50 to the Boss Tone Studio, the GAFC footswitch isn't required, just need a cable with the suitable USB plugs. I would be interested in your experiments on this amp for the ever elusive search for 'That Sound'

Back in 2016/17 when I bought my first Katana it was the 50 MK1 and I easily found a similar sound to my Vox by using the clean channel, 20% bass, 80% mid and 60% treble (ball park figures) no presence.
Then later after I sold it I had the 2 x 12 100 MK1 and connected it to my computer, discovering a maximum of two echo taps, each editable, plus the reverb which I chose the 'plate' and remembered Roberto saying that Malcolm Addey had told him the Abbey Road reverb was set at 72ms when recording early Shadows.

Fast forward to today and I have the Katana 100 MK2 head, which does exactly the same with quite a few additions.
In the Boss Tone Studio on my screen I found some of the choices to the left of the two delays actually offered extra delays and I tried them in line with the two existing delays, setting the timings and levels, feedback etc and I was delighted to find great Shadows echoes.

There are a row of thirteen little boxes across the centre of the screen under the amplifier knobs.

EFFECTS CHAIN- BOOSTER- MOD- FX- DELAY- DELAY 2 - REVERB - PEDA- FX - EQ - NS - SEND/RETURN - ASSIGN

The four echo heads that I use are in MOD FX DELAY DELAY 2 - You scroll through each section to find the delays.

I also find the EQ box very handy too for removing the muddy bass and I reduce the treble at 4k, 8k, 16k to remove the 'glassy sound of the Strat. I sometimes lift the mid - 500hz, 1k, 2k, depending on how it's sounds.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby artyman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:07 pm

Sounds similar to what I've done using the graphic EQ and setting the various levels from some data on Charlie Halls site.

Its' the overall tone that I can't seem to get right, or perhaps it's just my rubbish playing.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby petercreasey » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Last edited by petercreasey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

petercreasey

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:06 pm

petercreasey wrote:That’s s helpful Dave, In the offline mode the echoes don’t appear, probably they are available on some models but not all and only appear when the appropriate model is plugged into the computer.
I have ordered a 100 mark 2 and look forward to getting it plugged in and getting everything in “ one box”
Thanks for all your help
Take care

That one should do it. Give me a tug if you need help.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby petercreasey » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:53 pm

Last edited by petercreasey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

petercreasey

PreviousNext

Return to Gear