Boss Katana100 MK2 Head

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Boss Katana100 MK2 Head

Postby dave robinson » Tue May 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Well there you have it, those files give you a good idea of how the Katana MK2 sounds. I have bought mine for living room use and I am over the moon with it, especially finding four fully editable echo taps on there. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Another live play along with the Shads , this time it is The Stranger.

Once again played entirely through the Katana 100 head Mark, 2 and all eq and effects used on Katana only through that little 5 inch speaker.

Good enough ?

https://youtu.be/6ZyrdlC3TQI
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby petercreasey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Last edited by petercreasey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 am

petercreasey wrote:If that’s what you want to do and you’re happy with it Roger of course it’s good enough.
The Katana Mk 2 is a great amp and the speaker is great for playing at home, , probably enough for small venues to backing tracks. The effects are great too . Pleased to hear that you are happy with it
Take care

Yes I am happy with this Katana and it is only using a single tape delay anc reverb for this demo.

It is best played on headphones or good hi fi to hear it best. You can clearly hear the original guitar and my guitar which is louder. I did it this way for comparison with original. I have to say in the room it sounded great and most people would enjoy it. Cost of amp and in built effects around £330. Cannot recommend it enough. It is good enough in my opinion and at least 95 - 99% 9f the sound on record.

Meazzi's and Vintage Vox amplifiers are in short supply anc not all sound the same either and need maintenance, so finding a cheaper modern answer is worthwhile. :idea:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby petercreasey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:57 am

Last edited by petercreasey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby clivea » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 am

Very impressed Roger.
Thanks for posting it the files.

Clive
clivea

Full Real Name: T Clive Aspinall

Postby stratman999 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Good evening all, I have been looking at a Katana head/100w combo for a while, however, from what I have read they only have 8 memory slots. I have used most multi effects over the years and they all have from 50 to 100+ memory presets, is this correct? I know with my Boss OD200 it came out with 4 memory's and a firmware update increased it to 128.
If it has got only 8 can I ask how you get all your shadows presets onto 8 memory slots (I am assuming you are using the eternal effects, not an external unit)
Many thanks
David
stratman999

Full Real Name: David Pickwell

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:11 pm

When I used my Katana 100 head on stage i had five Shadows echoes which covered everything we did by them.
You need the Echomatic 1 Apache echo without feedback to play Apache, then the same echo with some feedback to play The Frightened City, Man Of Mystery, The Stranger, Mustang, Midnight, Blue Star and some of the others.
Then you need two Echomatic 2 patches, one with enough echo level for Wonderful Land, Kon Tiki, The Savage, Peace Pipe, Theme For Young Lovers and lots more, then the same echo with less echo volume for Shadoogie, Dance On, Shindig, Shazam Foot Tapper and others that use the same echo and finally the Flingel Bunt Echo which is unique. The other three slots or me have Duane Eddy tremolo/reverb, a Slapback and a Gary Moore heavy sound. The 'panel' option is left with the straight guitar sound with the option of using my foot controller to add chorus or any other three effects i may need. All of these are controllable from the GA-FC pedal, having being set up on my laptop using the Boss Tone Lab.
That said, at the moment my Katana 100 head is being used indoors and I have my Fender Tone Master and the option of several echoes for our gigs. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Stu's Dad » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:05 pm

You can save as many patches as you like in the Boss Tone Studio, and just load any eight into the live patches when you want them.

I had many doubts and questions like yours David but all became clear when I bought one and set it up. If you're OK with software it's relatively simple, and there are loads of videos on You Tube that are helpful.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby artyman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:30 pm

You can also use the Android Librarian app which enables you to have as many patches as you want.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

PreviousNext

Return to Gear