Guitars in Films TV etc

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Guitars in Films TV etc

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:08 am

Another thread about the guitars used in the various films reminded me of the following:

About 8 years ago I used to drive through the south coast seaport of Newhaven on a regular basis. My route took me through a small industrial estate and I caught site of a billboard which was advertising musical gear for sale. On this day I decided to have a look. I found a door and inside was a guitar dealers establishment. I was the only customer so after buying some bits and pieces, I got chatting to the salesman, who was likeable lad, and quite happy to chat with an old codger like me. He had some nice Fender models and perhaps, noting my interest, he asked if I would like to see upstairs.

He led me upstairs, and in this room I saw a wide range of guitars and bass guitars, which at first site looked brill, but on closer inspection looked too good to be true. I noted in particular 2/3 Watkins Rapiers - the 2, 3 and 4 pick-up models with that dodgy vibrato arm. Also some hofners and rickenbackers, guilds, gretch's.

The guy explained that they were all film and tv props which were hired to film production companies - some were real old guitars which had been restored to look new, and some were props. So if a tv company was making a programme about say, the Yardbirds or the Pretty Things in 1964/5, the correct style of guitar or bass guitar could be used by the actors in the film. To use real vintage guitars was not practical cos they are nearly all in collections and would cost a fortune to insure!.

After all would your average punter be able to tell the difference? I know some people (me included) do like to spot errors in films!

Never been back, and annoyingly can't recall their trading name.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Re: Guitars in Films TV etc

Postby Tab » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:36 am

No lomger there, Chris. Stopped trading several years ago.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby skye » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 am

Hi Chris
As Terry says they are no longer trading. They were in New road in Newhaven and called Old School Guitars
Owned by John? Bob Moore and David Crozier ,When they closed David opened a shop in Eastbourne
I have added a link to that shop if you click on the guitars sold tab you will see some of the guitars that you would have looked at in
Newhaven http://www.davidcrozierguitars.com/shop ... tml?cat=30
Ray
skye

Full Real Name: Ray Field

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Ray and Terry,
Thanks for that info, I might just follow it up.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:38 pm

PS - had a look a that website - could be just what I need.

thanks again,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Return to Gear