The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby tony parnham » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Al,
I do understand what you are saying but this is just an observation of mine and Hank of course does what he wants and yes,I thought DM soundfiles were excellent too. In addition as I understand it Hank spent a fair amount of time before the tour with Paul Rossiter with the TVS3 to get "close to his original sound" and even discarded his trusty Kinmans for the CS54's to that end. My point is this; he knew he was going to take possesion of the 50th Anniversary guitar which is supposed to be an exact replica of the very guitar which produced his original sound confirmed by DM's soundfiles as being the closest by many members.
So, why is'nt he using this guitar with the TVS3 choosing to prefer the CS 54's and a guitar other than the 50th Anniversary.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby MeBHank » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:42 pm

tony parnham wrote:Hi Al,
I do understand what you are saying but this is just an observation of mine and Hank of course does what he wants and yes,I thought DM soundfiles were excellent too. In addition as I understand it Hank spent a fair amount of time before the tour with Paul Rossiter with the TVS3 to get "close to his original sound" and even discarded his trusty Kinmans for the CS54's to that end. My point is this; he knew he was going to take possesion of the 50th Anniversary guitar which is supposed to be an exact replica of the very guitar which produced his original sound confirmed by DM's soundfiles as being the closest by many members.
So, why is'nt he using this guitar with the TVS3 choosing to prefer the CS 54's and a guitar other than the 50th Anniversary.
Tony

Because Hank is now apparently very sensitive to fretboard radii. He prefers a flatter radius nowadays, and the Oasis Strat radius is of course a lot rounder than his signature models, and I have heard he will only play the guitar once the radius has been changed on his own Strat before he uses it.

HTH...

J

PS: It's only my personal taste, but as Hank was/is attempting to get closer to the early sound I would have preferred him to use an amp that employs the EF86 valve, instead of the Top-Boost which was his final choice.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:02 am

The word at Sheffield last week was that Hank's guitar was been modified in the way Justin has described and refretted. :?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Established1958 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:07 am

Hi Guys,
I just wrote an explanation for Tony's question which doesn't seem to have appeared.
I can tell you as an absolute fact Hanks 50th has not been refretted nor has the radius been modified.
Howard
Established1958

Full Real Name: Howard Gillespie

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:14 am

Fine, then the guitar that Hank mentioned in Liverpool at the soundcheck to some friends of mine , that was being refretted & re-profiled . . . . must have been another one. Sorry, I stand corrected. :o
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Established1958 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 am

Hi Tony,
There are, as usual, many answers to your question. First and foremost however is the fact that Hanks stage guitars are ones which he has owned and played for some time and is therefore comfortable with. I doubt many major artists embarking on an extensive tour would want the extra stress of a new instrument. The 50th is a replica of a guitar Hank last played 49 years ago and all his more recent guitars reflect a gradual progression in feel and sound. The 50th project was always about reproducing the original guitar in feel and sound. It is meant as a tribute to the guitar itself as well as to The Shadows and so far feedback suggests that is what has been achieved. It does appear with Hank in the GMTV footage and may make further appearances as the tour progresses.
I don't think I would be breaking any confidences by saying that Hank told me he is taking the 50th back to the hotel with him each night and it is also his dressing room warm up instrument. So he is playing it every day.
Bruce on the other hand has been using his 50th on stage alternating with 34346. I think it is an indication of the authenticity that audibly there appears to be no difference and the only way to tell is to look at the video screen and see if the gold plating is intact and the finish is shiny or not.
They have both told me "It's a wonderful guitar" and that's good enough for me.
Howard
Established1958

Postby Established1958 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:35 am

No problem Robbo and for the record I don't know which guitar he was referring to. He did have problems with one of the guitars he brought over from Oz.
I do know it wasn't the 50th.
Howard
Established1958

Postby tony parnham » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi Howard,
Looking over my previous post the wording was probably somewhat ambiguous. To clarify, this is no reflection on a truly stunning instrument as the 50th Anniversary with its envious collectability, pedigree and performance. It was just my opinion that Hank had spent time and effort ressurecting the old sound for the tour and not used the guitar but I accept the explanations by yourself and others as having reliable substance.
Regards Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Established1958 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 pm

For everyone waiting to see better footage of the 50th being played by Hank here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E31WZbash3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzBhwUVTeM

For anyone still teetering on the edge there are now only 10 left and we are starting to get more enquiries from outside the UK since Fender officially posted it on the Custom Shop website.

As always thanks to all for the support!

Howard
Established1958

Postby keithmantle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:56 pm

I have heard that Hank practices with the 50th and also it travels with him and not with the rest of his gear in the van/lorry !! (from a very good source) PS, Can any 50th owners advise what Make/Type/Gauge, strings they are using, I will soon be changing mine to Newtone elec masters 12-52's but possibly with a plain 020/022 third, any advice would be appreciated, thanks Keith
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

PreviousNext

Return to Gear