The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby Tone » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 am

aardvarkd wrote:They are shipped with Fender 10-46s.

Hi

Fender 10-46 strings seem to be the standard issue on Custom Shop guitars but I wanted 11s on mine as I thought they would be more suited to the "period" of the guitar. Howard recommended and fitted a set of Picato 11-52s which have a wound 3rd. I did wonder whether there might be a volume imbalance in view of the pickup pole pieces being flush with the covers but the guitar sounded fine in the shop. However, when I played it at home at louder volume the 3rd string did indeed sound slightly, but noticeably, quieter. I've changed the wound 3rd for a plain and it's now fine. So, anyone contemplating moving up a gauge might like to bear this in mind. I don't know what the answer would be if you wanted to use 12s or 13s as these gauges aren't available with a plain 3rd - or are they?

Re Geoff's question about the Fender Custom Care lifetime warranty, I've registered mine but hope I'll never have to use it!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am

If you wanted strings more suited to the 'period' as you said, you would be looking at at least 13/56 - and they would be considered 'light', as back then 11/50's were considered as banjo strings. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Tone » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Agreed, Dave, but a) I find 12s or 13s difficult to bend and b) I think it likely that anything heavier than 11s would require adjustments to the nut, trem and, possibly, the truss rod and I don't want to go down that road.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Toni. I may have misunderstood you but are you saying the CRS guitar has flush pole pieces or is it that the G pole is flush?

Hi Peter. Yes it is the original tailpiece on the LG50 and there was a discussion regarding the Antoria logo on Hanks guitar. To be honest we didnt know whether the logo was engraved or embossed so the tailpiece was refurbished without the logo. I think we should start a new thread on the subject Peter. Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Check this spec...
Attachments
CRS'59 Spec.jpg
(193.57 KiB) Downloaded 7036 times
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Tone » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Geoff

The pole pieces for the top three strings are all flush and those on the bottom strings are raised, those for the D string being slightly higher than the A and bottom E.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi. Thank you Tony & David for the info and the spec sheet. The pushed down G pole as per 34346 is intriguing as it would not be the case in 1959. Must be a Mr Johnson mod to suit a plain string. Does Bruce use a plain or a wound G string? Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby aardvarkd » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Geoff,
If you apply a magnifying glass to a good photo of 34346 in 1960-ish, for example the one on the front of 'The Shadows Vocals' 12inch LP, you can see that the pole-pieces are in the same positions as the 50th replica's. The B is lowest, D is raised highest and the G and top E almost level with the top of the pickup cover. The bottom two strings are slightly above the cover.
aardvarkd

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

aardvarkd wrote:Geoff,
If you apply a magnifying glass to a good photo of 34346 in 1960-ish, for example the one on the front of 'The Shadows Vocals' 12inch LP, you can see that the pole-pieces are in the same positions as the 50th replica's. The B is lowest, D is raised highest and the G and top E almost level with the top of the pickup cover. The bottom two strings are slightly above the cover.

I checked the CS54 and 57/62's I have and both follow same height arrangement which is very much as you describe the new strat PU's except the G pole is lowered on that model and not on the newer CS PU's
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby MeBHank » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Geoff Alderton LH wrote:Hi. Thank you Tony & David for the info and the spec sheet. The pushed down G pole as per 34346 is intriguing as it would not be the case in 1959. Must be a Mr Johnson mod to suit a plain string. Does Bruce use a plain or a wound G string? Regards Geoff.

It would be impossible to alter pickup height after fifty years. It would certainly break the coil, rendering the pickup useless. Plus, even if it was possible to do, Mick is no doubt aware of how sacreligious that would be. Peter is right: check any picture of 34346 and you will see the flat G poles.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

PreviousNext

Return to Gear