The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby David Martin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Aw... thanks Roger... Sanity preserved!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ScouserJoe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

David,

There's no need for you to feel disappointed or down - you're never in a million years going to get people to unanamously agree that any file posted here is going to be a perfect match with the original recording. That's the same for all of us, we've all tried and we've all failed - it's just different opinions. If my response somehow expressed negativity, as Roger suggests, then I am sorry; it was more of a 'neutral' assessment that I was trying to covey.

I repeat again, what you have said yourself. It's your sound, and if you are happy with what you have and what you hear then that's all that matters. Just enjoy it - I wouldn't give a b___ what other people thought if I was sitting here now playing one of these .. you lucky so-and-so !!
ScouserJoe

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:12 pm

I just played David's tracks to Alan Jones and his reaction was, "These sound remarkably close to the originals" and particularly thought ' Wonderful Land' had 'Sleepwalk' had the exact tonal character. I thought the same too and have to wonder what other folks consider to be 'right'. You won't get the kit any closer than this, the replica guitar, AC30/4 and ESE Echomatic - metallic ? never. :o
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby aardvarkd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Agreed, Dave. I thought David's files confirmed that this guitar has the sound qualities we hoped for and he played those numbers darned well too.
aardvarkd

Postby tony parnham » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi David,
I'm not an anorak but I do have some experience of playing a masterbuilt guitar with Ybarra pickups and have listened to your tracks back to back with " The Shadows 50 Golden Greats" I also can hear distinctly the charactersitics of the original sound. If one turns it around, that is to say, instead of targetting the missing link of the Meazzi and Abbey Road etc on David's demo's, which can never happen of course but David borrowed 34346 from Bruce and replicated the gear of todays demo's I bet there would'nt be a hairs width worth of difference between 'em, that's the easiest way to find out whether the 50th Anniversary guitar is a hit or a miss and from what I've heard I agree Dave's quote ....."You won't get the kit any closer than this, the replica guitar, AC30/4 and ESE Echomatic - metallic ? never",...... and I would'nt mind one.
Tony
Last edited by tony parnham on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:56 am, edited 9 times in total.
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby kipper » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:08 pm

hi all played all 3 tracks and david you should have a big grin they are fabulous. the guitar does to my ear give a brilliant sound as close as i have heard to oridginal sound, we all hear things differently so each to his or her own. you must be over the moon with a guitar that sounds as good as it looks well done. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi all. Well I think its a fantastic guitar with a fantastic sound. I am still very interested in whats under the bonnet David so if you do ever get round to looking under the pickgard a picture would be most appreciated. My interest is in how its been wired, what capacitor has been installed, is the middlle pickup same as the neck pickup or is it RW/RP and what pots are used. My only disappointment is that left handed ones are not available. Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby David Martin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks for your further thoughts Ian, and the other, more positive views expressed later...

I love the guitar... for what it is as an instrument, and for what it represents.

I won't get under the lid until I change the strings Geoff - which will be some time, 'cos I use Fast Fret! However, I know that the middle pickup is not RW/RP and that each pickup has been wound to the same resistance as the three separate pickups on 34346. They were measured at the time that the neck was removed in order to create the templates from which the custom shop carved CRS'59... also interesting that Howard has checked the new ones as they arrived against the templates and found them spot on, so Greg Fessler did a good job.

(BTW a word of explanation as to why I used those backing tracks: Given that CRS'59 is supposed to be a faithful replica of 34346, it seemed to me that the only way to gain an impression of its musical similarity was to record it in the same context as 34346. So we used the originals - but ones which have no trace of Hank in the background as some of them do. In my opinion, using the UB Hank Kon Tiki - which is pretty poor when you listen to it alone - would not give a comparable base from which to judge.)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:51 am

Hi David.Thank you for the info regarding the pickups and I look forward to you changing your strings, hopefully in the next year or two. I myself, in 1998, decided to go the master build way for my own LH34346. It's a fantastic guitar, but I have never been happy with the pickups. Fender Fat Fifties, when new, then Kinman CV-HMS, Texas Specials, back to Fat Fifties. I have now had a set custom wound at Bare Knuckle.ie left hand vintage stagger, no RW/RP middle etc, etc. . I have re strung with D'Addario Chromes(flat wounds) 13-56. First impressions are promising, guitar straight into amp, no fx . Will they sound like the AY custom set you have in the Oasis guitar, I hope so, if not it looks like lots of e-mails to the Custom Shop at Fender with a lot of pestering until I get a yes or no from Fender & AY Thanks again for the info. Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Bluesnote » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:11 am

roger bayliss wrote:Well I actually think they are very good sound files so why the negativity ? perhaps it's because the original backings have been used possibily but there is no denying the sound is very very close given it's not gonna be exactly the same as not done at Abbey Rd .. I would be chuffed myself David. Congratulations and be content with that wonderful purchase and let it put a big smile on your face every time you open the case... :D

I second that Rodger. How much better a sound could you get out of an electric guitar anyway(as opposed to an expensive classical). I think the sound is great and as good as you will get out of a solid instrument. I think maybe some folk on here are expecting far too much out of the instrument and the recordings.
I think you are all somewhat harsh in your judgement of these files.
For what its worth David, I liked your examples and I think your purchase is well worth it and as said earlier, it really needs to be heard live to be fully apppreciated I'd agree.
I hope you have many happy years with this guitar and what can I say :roll: Wish I could afford one :mrgreen:
Bluesnote

PreviousNext

Return to Gear