The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby David Martin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:39 am

Come out from behind that setee!!

Seriously though, we mastered and mixed these using three different sets of speakers (monitors, PA and crummy car speakers) in order to get the sound right and they sounded fabulous ... which is why I uploaded them.

I can only think that they've suffered in the conversion to .wma (which is all my own work) and I'm checking that now...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby asimmd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 am

You could be right David

Why not upload a file as a Wave,that way the compression shouldn't be a factor.

I must say I am not a fan of the ESE either,I had one for a while and found it to be
too touchy to set,I was spoilt by the ease of my Quadraverb 2 so I sent the ESE back.
I didn't regret not having it anymore but each to his own.

Come on David,you CAN do better.

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby David Martin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Fascinating...

I've checked all, and compared them to the original as heard on 50 Golden Greats, and, although not quite as toppy, I think they sound pretty darned close... I drove back from Robbo's yesterday afternoon with a silly grin on my face listening to them, and I've listened to the disc and the downloads from both sources now, so I guess we must have different expectations...

I'll post some UB Hank based stuff eventually, but right now my technology isn't up and running...

What are you playing them on?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby asimmd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi David

I am playing the files on my 100Watt Spirit Absolute 2 Monitors,same thing I use
to play everything on.

There was a metallic after sound on the first file I tried,but if you are happy with it,then
thats really all that matters.
I put this down to the echo which,as I said I don't like.

As you quite rightly say,we all hear things differently.

I am convinced you will get a better sound once you are on your own system,and
have time to fine tune the settings.

Alan
asimmd

Postby stagetech » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Just two questions.
How much?
Where can I get one?

Ian 8-)
stagetech

Postby ScouserJoe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:21 pm

David Martin wrote: So what do you think?

Many thanks for posting these files, David, and for giving us the opportunity to hear this guitar for the first time. So you ask what I think ?

I have always held reservations about using sound files posted on these forums to compare one sound against another; there are too many variables and everybody inevitably hears things differently. In fact, even posting a sound file to try to exhibit the tonal characteristics of an instrument are fraught with issues simply because so much depends upon what additional amplification equipment we might all use, what environment we might use it in and, once again, how well we hear the sample in the first place.

As you have used 'Hank extracted' backing tracks to produce these samples, I am making the assumption that it was your intention to ask us to compare the sound of this guitar on these files against the original Shadows' recordings. If that is the benchmark you are setting, then my honest opnion is that what I am hearing is no nearer to the original sound than that exhibited by many of the other excellent alternatives posted on these boards over the years. There are too many differences to single out here, so I'll just say that if I were to use these samples as the basis of the critical judgement upon which to go out and buy this guitar in order to obtain 'That Sound' then I would not be making the purchase. But as you so eloquently wrote in your 'Which Sound' thread " it's your ideal which is most important. When you are happy with your sound the job is done... you will never get everyone to agree that you have "that sound" because there is no, one, single sound which is "right"".

If the intention of these files is to simply exhibit the quality of the instrument's tone, then the results are pleasing, but not spectacular. But then again, what kind of sound I would achieve using this guitar with my equipment, in my environment, would be totally different. So the whole exercise is very subjective. I would, of course, have been able to make a better assessment of the sound of this guitar on its own merits had I heard it with a backing track that I could replicate - which is why I would have preferred the use of something like UBHank.

But there is much, much more to this package than sound alone. I hope my track record is proof that I have been, and remain, supportive of the project to produce this guitar. So like Alan I am not writing this with any feelings of jealousy nor criticism of the package as a whole. Indeed, from what I have heard from the lucky owners of these guitars, they are truly wonderful instruments and iconic mementos of the Shadows' era. I hope that they give those who have one, and those who are yet to buy one, a lot of pleasure from their ownership over the years.
ScouserJoe

Postby asimmd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Well said Ian and so eloquently put.

Of course,that's what I was trying to say,but it comes over better when put like that.

He He

Alan
asimmd

Postby OLDEREK » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:19 pm

If I can keep this simple and honest, here are my thoughts, I was lucky enough to be at the Oasis Music shop when three of these guitars were handed over to the new owners, I only heard one of them, this one had bigger strings just fitted, it went into a ESE Echo ( not working as it should) and into a Vox. the sound to my ears was superb and gave that early Strat Bark IE:That Sound. but these sound files on here do not sound the same to me, so IMO you have to hear this guitar in the flesh so to speak...But as been said before this is most likely the best Hank / Shadow related Guiar package that we will ever see, forget what it sounds like, when you open the case it gives out a vibe I have never felt from any of my Guitars, .........Superb Outfit, and can you all please help me to get one, send your cheque to.............. :D :D :D
OLDEREK

Postby David Martin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Well guys... what can I say? I'm sorry you're disappointed in what you hear. I'll try to make some alternative files as soon as I can. All I wanted to do was to let you hear it soonest...

I think this is a great guitar with fab tone - and yes... for our purposes better than the Fender 50th Masterbuilt Strat in the sense that its tone is slightly warmer... and the neck is very different, and the colour... and the associations and... it's just lovely.

(This is so very strange, 'cos I can hear the "bark" and "bite" in these files, and the mellow sweetness too... and I've A-B compared it with the original and still think it bears comparison in terms of sound and tone... I'm really down now.... :cry: )
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:08 pm

Well I actually think they are very good sound files so why the negativity ? perhaps it's because the original backings have been used possibily but there is no denying the sound is very very close given it's not gonna be exactly the same as not done at Abbey Rd .. I would be chuffed myself David. Congratulations and be content with that wonderful purchase and let it put a big smile on your face every time you open the case... :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

PreviousNext

Return to Gear