The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby RUSSET » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:08 pm

From the beautiful picture above, the colour looks a bit closer to Fender Torino Red, or maybe Dakota Red from their colour charts. Certainly not what we know as Fiesta Red.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby ScouserJoe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Tony,

I think you should visit the extensive thread which I initiated a few months ago in which all the details of this guitar were discussed and examined with a fine tooth comb.

The colour is not Torino Red, not Dakota Red, nor Fiesta Red. It is CUSTOM RED .. a specially prepared colour given a special code 985-Custom Red by Fender themselves; it is based on the recollections of Hank and Bruce of the colour of the original Stratocaster 34346 when it first arrived in the UK. If you would like to know more, visit the thread on the old site or go to the Oasis Musical Instruments website where a full specification is available.
ScouserJoe

Postby apachepete » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:40 pm

ITS HERE,

Ive had the phone call from Howard.
Well this week Wednesday hopefully

YIPEEEE
apachepete

Full Real Name: peter donald

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am

RUSSET wrote:From the beautiful picture above, the colour looks a bit closer to Fender Torino Red, or maybe Dakota Red from their colour charts. Certainly not what we know as Fiesta Red.

Tony.

Tony

You can't get an accurate impression of the colour from the pictures that have been published. As Ian has said, it is a unique colour based largely on Hank and Bruce's recollection of 34346 in its original state. Having seen one of the guitars I can confirm it certainly isn't Fiesta red because there's no orange in it; nor is it like Dakota Red - I was able to compare the new guitar side by side with a Dakota Red Strat and the new one is not as dark and has a pink hue.

As an aside, I've often wondered how 34346 came to be described as "Flamingo Pink." Despite the arguments over the colour, I don't think it could have looked anything like the colour of a flamingo!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby apachepete » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:48 pm

just been confirmed I will get mine tommorrow Wednesday

Cant wait
apachepete

Postby aardvarkd » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Apachepete: any sign of that 50th guitar yet?
aardvarkd

Postby TrevorL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 pm

What's that crap tremelo arm doing on there???? Sacrilege!!
TrevorL

Postby apachepete » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:03 am

Hi

YESSS it came yesterday morning 9oclock,I just cant put it down.

Its a darker red than I thought,dont know where they got the salmon pink from.

Neck birds eye really thick laquer beutiful really.

Sound, Well Ive never played a guitar like this one, or heard a sound like this one ,wait a minute,YES I HAVE its on the albums ive been bying for 50 years.

Just plugging in I knew it was a different,sound to my other guitars, bottom end deep but raspy bright and oh so twangy,How do you describe sound? So sweet across all string no tinny top end just THAT SOUND.

Ive been looking for all these years as we all have, for THAT early sound,having tried practically everying thats been recomended;
Reisues, Strats from Japan,Mexico,American you name it ive tried it,swapped bodies necks pickups bought 57/62 pickups, 54 custom shop {the closest to THAT sound IMHO} vintage,and oh yes the Kinmans. 35 years of every combination Guitar, Amp Echo,Digital Analogue and whatever,Hate to think how much Ive spent over the years, been close to the sound but never close enough to stop me bying Guitar Amps Echoes, But that has all finished now Ive found what ive been searching for.

Yes the Guitar is expensive but im very fortunate at this time in my life to able to afford one so why not.Im the same age as Hank and Bruce and time stands still for no one.

If your Thinking Shoud you buy one and lucky enough to have the money,go for it,Lifes too short.

If your ever up Northeast UK come and have a listen have a go.

The 50th anniversay Strat with a little Vox Heritage 15 watts EF 86 channel. MY search for the Holy Grail has ended.

Peter
apachepete

Postby OLDEREK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Peter It's so nice to read a report like yours here, I heard one today and yes I also heard that early sound too, what a superb Guitar it is in everyway, I was lucky to see three very happy owners enjoying there first look at this fabulous Guitar, if only I had the cash !....... I have never seen a COA from Fender with so much imformation writen about a guitar on one before, everywhere you look in this package it just gets better and better, these days they use the term Case Candy for all the bits and pieces that come with a guitar, this one is like a Sweet Shop, I know for certain that all the lucky owners of this fine instrument will be so glad that Howard took this giant step and produced such a wonderful item to celebrate The Shadows 50th Anniversary.................. :D
OLDEREK

Postby aardvarkd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:36 am

Apachepete: thanks for that enthusiastic review, I'm very pleased that you have found what we have all been searching for. I look forward to receiving and using my 50th shortly.
aardvarkd

PreviousNext

Return to Gear