The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby David Martin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:10 am

Just type The Scotsman into our search box at the top of the page and all will be revealed...

The thread seems to have escaped its original content... shall I move some sections of it?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Established1958 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Hello all,
I just want to thank everyone again for the support I have had from many of the members of this group throughout this almost 3 year project.
There is just one guitar left to go before we are sold out though it will still be a couple of weeks before they are all finally shipped out. I won't know what to do with myself!
It has been a great thrill to see Bruce using his on the tour and in the DVD. Hank has been using his as his warm up instrument. I understand that he is taking number 51 back to Oz but number 53 is being made ready for use here in the U.K. for future projects.
Keep your eyes open in January for a special feature on The Shadows 50th in one of the guitar magazines.
Howard
Established1958

Full Real Name: Howard Gillespie

Postby David Martin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:58 pm

And many thanks to you too...

I know this is a commercial project but also a labour of love... and I'm very grateful to have the opportunity to own this "once in a lifetime" guitar...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby keithmantle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I'll second that David, just changed my strings to Gibson L5 11-52's , Apache never sounded better !!
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby aardvarkd » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Established1958 wrote:Hello all,
I just want to thank everyone again for the support I have had from many of the members of this group throughout this almost 3 year project.
There is just one guitar left to go before we are sold out though it will still be a couple of weeks before they are all finally shipped out. I won't know what to do with myself!
It has been a great thrill to see Bruce using his on the tour and in the DVD. Hank has been using his as his warm up instrument. I understand that he is taking number 51 back to Oz but number 53 is being made ready for use here in the U.K. for future projects.
Keep your eyes open in January for a special feature on The Shadows 50th in one of the guitar magazines.
Howard

I suspect that Howard is referring to the January edition of Guitar Buyer which is doing a review of the Shadows 50th and a history of 34346. Let's hope some of the other guitar mags produce something related to the tour and the 50th Anniversary of these rather important guitarists.
aardvarkd

Postby David Martin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 am

I did promise - some long time back - to relate what's under the hood of this guitar when I came to change the strings, and in particular, the G string pole pieces. Members may recall that the original 34346 appears to have the G pole pieces "pushed through" the fibre formers so that they lie at more or less the same height as the B pole pieces. And that's what the 50th Anniversary CRS '59 looks like too. Well...

Under the scratch plate, the pickups are all dated 22nd June 2009 and each signed by Abby... (Abigail Ybarra) and (shock horror) all are flush with the base fibre former... Wiring is very very neat in wax covered, tinned wire, and shielding is a rudimentary strip of foil around the pickups and under the controls. The initial GF are stamped into the body, and there appears to be a little, manual, chisel based routing where the wiring leaves the bridge pickup routing and heads towards the control panel... Is this a modern innovation or a replication of the original? Could this be the secret of Hank's original sound or is it the remains of the fairy dust to be found in the pickup cavities? :lol:

Whatever it is, "this" guitar has "that" sound... 8-)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:38 am

Hi David. This was, and still is, a very interesting topic for us previously, when the pickups were seen to have a flush G pole. Thank you for the info David. Is it to late to ask for a couple of pictures?
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby David Martin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Not my own guitar...

Shads_50th_Abby_PU.JPG
(210.21 KiB) Downloaded 7023 times

Quicker!! ;)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Gary Allen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Has anyone asked Bruce if it sounds any different to the original ?.....gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi again. Thank you for the picture.
The extra rout is on most pre CBS strats to take the bunch of six wiresto the deeper pot rout. Its also on the vintage re issues but done with a router.
Thanks again for the picture
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

PreviousNext

Return to Gear