New Classic series '60s' Fiesta Red'

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New Classic series '60s' Fiesta Red'

Postby RUSSET » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Having popped into my local guitar store last week, I notice they have a new (well, new to me) Fender Mex Classic series '60s
Strat in Fiesta Red. It has , of course, a Pau Ferro (Dark) fingerboard, & a Nitro lacquer finish. It also comes with a nice Tweed hardcase. The price is in the £800-900 range. So, it's the right look for the Shads period of the matching set of 'F. Reds'.
Not sure if it's an FSR special run model, but it sure looks nice, & under their lights it looks a correct F.Red from what I remember from the '60s. It's a bit pricey, but the Mex Classics are a good quality range, & you do get that hardcase too.

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: New Classic series '60s' Fiesta Red'

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am

MIM guitars are very liable to increase in price very soon... er, no they're not. Trump just decided to not add the import surcharge.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm

My mate bought a Classic Series FSR Red with Maple neck and gold hardware in tweed case. It has Fender 56 pickups and sounds splendid. I bought a Fender Classic Player Strat 50s strat maple neck vintage sunburst with 57/62 pickups this being custom shop designed with 2 point trem and locking tuners and again a great guitar.2nd hand off Ebay but as new saved about £300 . The 5 way switch is the new super switch as they call it , normal strat sounds, except pos 4 gives neck and bridge instead of neck and middle. Tone pot on bridge pu as well as one for neck and middle.

I also got my first Fender Telecaster recently, the Fender Classic Player 50s Baja Telecaster in butterscotch with maple neck.again custom shop designed. Pickups sound very good. 4 way switch with S1 switch for 3 extra sounds and normal tele sounds.

These are great guitars for the money.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby RUSSET » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi Roger,
Yes, they are all fine instruments. I have been lucky enough to be able to get all three models you mention, too, with the assistance of G.A.S. you understand. The quality & the workmanship on the Fender Mex range is certainly almost equal to the USA range now. The new F. Red '60s Strat looks superb, but as I already have 3 various '60s Rosewood board F. Reds, even on G.A.S. I would be pushing it a bit too far. Anyway, I'm sure someone on the site will be interested in one.

By the way, the original issue of the Baja Tele had a 'Twisted Tele' pickup in the neck, & a Custom shop 'Broadcaster' pickup ( I think ?) in the bridge. That's why it sounds so good. The current version has some different ones. I don't know what they are, but suspect some version of a Fender vintage style Tele set. I'm sure they are great, too.

Tony.
Last edited by RUSSET on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSSET

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:48 pm

As far as I am aware Tony, mine has the Broadcaster bridge pu and twisted tele in neck. They sound great.

I think the standard Player has different pickups to the Baja Classic Player

and the Classic 60s player Baja Tele has different pus too.
roger bayliss

Postby RUSSET » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi Roger,
If yours has those pickups I mentioned, then they are the original issue from over ten years ago, like mine.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8XGTxXDajc

The recent new Reissue of the BAJA Tele now has several different colour finishes & a Pau Ferro fingerboard option. The pickups on this version are now described as : American Vintage Single-Coil '58 Tele (Bridge) & American Vintage Single-Coil '52 Tele (Neck)

Both versions are part of the Classic Player range.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:41 pm

RUSSET wrote:Hi Roger,
If yours has those pickups I mentioned, then they are the original issue from over ten years ago, like mine.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8XGTxXDajc

The recent new Reissue of the BAJA Tele now has several different colour finishes & a Pau Ferro fingerboard option. The pickups on this version are now described as : American Vintage Single-Coil '58 Tele (Bridge) & American Vintage Single-Coil '52 Tele (Neck)

Both versions are part of the Classic Player range.

Tony.

Yes Tony that's my guitar type in the uTube video which us the 50s Baja, the 60s Baja has those other pickups and pau ferro neck as you state per Fender specs.
roger bayliss

Return to Gear