A favourite guitar

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

A favourite guitar

Postby Trojun » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:39 am

I'm fortunate to have quite a collection of guitars including several vintage Gibsons, also a couple of strats and a tele, but for some reason every day i pick up my white '87 Japanese strat, and to be honest it looks a mess, the paint's wearing off, the lacquer is flaking off the neck, there are holes in it from various modifications over the years, but it's feels and sounds fantastic.
It was refretted about 25 years ago and there is still virtually no wear on them, I fitted a set of Texas specials about 10 years ago and that's it, it rarely goes out of tune, it never gets cleaned, and it gets lent out to anyone who wants to borrow it, but it's the only guitar I own that I would never sell.
Does anyone else have a a guitar that they can't figure out why it's a favourite?

Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Re: A favourite guitar

Postby Gruntfuttock » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi Dave. Strangely enough I’ve just bought a mij Strat. I wasn’t looking for a guitar but went to a second hand furniture shop looking for an old beurau. I didn’t know the shop also sold pre used guitars and amps. Saw this mij Strat and had a play. It was amazing! I paid about £300. It turned out to be a 1994. It’s immaculate- not a scratch and even still had the plastic covering on the pick guard! The original p/ups sounded pretty good but I had a spare set of Kinman Impersonator 54 (V2) so installed them along with new CTS pots. It sounds great and is a joy to play. It’s fast becoming my favourite.
I have an arch top guitar made by John Le Voi in Boston Lincs. I would definitely grab that as well if there was a fire!!
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby negninegaw » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Nooo, don't throw it into the fire!
negninegaw

Full Real Name: Van Wageningen

Postby Ubique » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 pm

:D :D
Ubique

Full Real Name: Neil Shaw

Postby Hank2k » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 am

my squier simon neil strat.

The cheapest guitar i own by far and yet its the most used and i think that is partly because it is a cheaper instrument i'm not so scared about using it and scratching it etc.
Hank2k

Postby neil2726 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:19 am

My 1982 Ovation Glen Campbell elelctro acoustic with gold plated machine heads and shallow bowl.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Return to Gear