Electrical Feedback Sound

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Electrical Feedback Sound

Postby MagicOurMorris » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Can anyone provide advice please. I am getting an electrical buzzing/interference sound when ever I take my hands off of my guitar. Touching the body/fret board no problem - take my hands off the guitar and the buzzing sound returns. Happy to take the guitar to a reputable source for repair if thats what is suggested or required.
I am located Wakefield side of Huddersfield
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Re: Electrical Feedback Sound

Postby jimuc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi Keith,

Sounds to me like it is an earthing problem.

When you touch any part of the guitar you are acting as the earth which stops the buzzing.

Not "techie" enough to offer a solution but am sure this is your problem.

Cheers Jim
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:32 pm

I had this with one particular Strat and I looked everywhere for the answer. I eventually realised that the guitar had no screening whatsoever, not even on the back of the scratch plate. I used some copper shielding tape and the problem disappeared. One word of warning though, too much of it can deaden your tone. Just do the back of the sratchplate first. I would only screen the cavities if that didn't do the job.

Good luck,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 am

There’s a piece of pick-guard shaped shielding that was fitted to all Fender Strats back in the day but they reduced the size of it on many and on some you may find none at all. The good news is you can buy one on eBay if you look, it’s very thin aluminium and is the shape of the entire pickguard, sitting underneath next to the body.
They cost between £15 / £25 depending on the seller - go to eBay, type in FENDER SHIELDING PICKGUARD and they will appear, this should do the trick, unless you are using a damaged lead somewhere in the chain. :idea:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3978459382
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Egelund » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 am

20 years ago, I had this problem especially in my house.
When I moved to my present home, and had never installation in a part of the house, which made only a small difference.

By that time I thought that, if only I got noiseless pick ups, everything would be fine, but it made no difference on that particular noise.
I then came across a guitar tech who could shield the guitar.'
By that time, they all used a black paint, very effective, but now illegal to use, because of health risk.

Ever since that day, all my guitars have been shielded, now with copper, and I have never had that problem again.

Regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby MagicOurMorris » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Brilliant advice and info - thanks to Jim Len Dave & Niels. (Dave, I'll check on ebay today and get one of those shields if I see one.

Thanks once again to all.

Best Regards

Keith
MagicOurMorris

Postby Egelund » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:17 pm

A picture of shielding
Burns Dream
steldæmpning o,25.JPG
Burns dream guitar, copper shielding
(81.67 KiB) Downloaded 5995 times
steldæmpning o,25.JPG
Burns dream guitar, copper shielding
(81.67 KiB) Downloaded 5995 times
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby MagicOurMorris » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Niels thank you posting for the pictures of the Burns insulation really useful.

Best Regards

Keith
MagicOurMorris

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Keith,

There are lots of videos on You Tube showing how to do it.

Good luck,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby MagicOurMorris » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello again everyone and thanks to all for the help and advice put forward which is hugely appreciate this end.
However I have stumbled upon the cause of all that electrical feed back and I'm pleased to say that the feedback issue is now resolved.
The cause!! I guess lack of knowledge and pure ignorance from a technical point of view on my part for which I apologise.
My guitar is fitted with noiseless pickups and I use good quality Planet Waves guitar leads. I happened to notice today that in very very small print it states on the jack plug on one end of the lead "Shielded End" Nothing is written on the jack plug at the other end of the lead.
So I plugged the shielded jack plug into the amp from the Halls & Collins Echo unit output socket - and have plugged the shielded end jack plug from my guitar lead into the input socket of the Halls & Collins unit and Hey Presto No Feedback at all.
I was not aware that the jack plugs at either end of the leads were different never having noticed the tiny print stating "Shielded End" before.
So you live and learn as they say. (What a Fool)
Thanks once again to all who answered my posting and for all the beneficial helpful info put forward which is never lost.
Best Regards To All

Keith.
MagicOurMorris

Return to Gear