Hank 'solo'

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank 'solo'

Postby drakula63 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Whilst looking at videos on Youtube, as usual, I found this. Never seen it before, even though it's been up there for almost ten years! I'm ashamed of myself. Anyway, I have no idea where it is originally from, but it's worth a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXM1-LTPwV0

(And yes, I can name them all...!!!)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Hank 'solo'

Postby JimN » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:34 pm

I've seen it before, but can't remember where.

That Hank is using his "Patrice Bastien" 1958 Strat puts this no earlier than about 1982.

That he is not using any of the modern post-CBS Strats given to him by Dallas-Arbiter means that it is no later than about 1986.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:28 pm

It just highlights the problem of guitar with no backing track. At the very least you need a click track! Some numbers fare better than others.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:27 am

Some comments underneath pointed out that it sounded a bit rushed, others were kinder and mentioned that he'd been asked to do it on the spot, and couldn't very well refuse!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 pm

Again, without knowing for sure where or when this was recorded, I'll assume that it was from a programme on which he was promoting one of the singles from his 1982 'Words and Music' album. In a way, getting him to do a rushed performance of some Shads classics was a bit of a back-handed compliment as it was a bit like "Yeah, you've done your new song now what we all really want to hear is something by The Shadows!" Still, I suppose the same thing happened with MWF, thus they gradually morphed back into the Shads.

Certainly an unusual clip and one that is sort of good and bad in equal measure.

P.S. Just taken a proper look at the comments underneath the video - and some of them are hilarious! :lol: But also a bit :shock:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby bor64 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 am

It's good to read here, that my comments beneath the movie of Hank solo on YouTube, is well read and kinda partly quoted here.
I have the whole movie including the part he's play-backing his single Don't Talk....somewhere in my collection.
It's recorded for a German TV show and Hank was asked just before he was suppose to "sing" his solo single Don't Talk to play a jiffy medley of the shads hits.
If I recall correctly, the host of the show just asked Hank if he could play the tunes and presented Hank with a guitar lead more or less at the same time...
So a kinda shotgun wedding...hence my remark on YT he couldn't refuse...
The amp was a Fender Twin Reverb "on loan" by the orchestra's guitar-player...so only reverb...

Some of the comments are really harsh ....there is one who stated Hanks playing and sounding like a plonker most of his career!
Normally I don't comment on YT, but that was a comment that made me react and I wrote my opinion and set the record straight.

Jim it's the 58 (PB) strat indeed...before the Roger Giffin neck, so it narrows down the time slot.
Don't Talk was promoted in '82, so easy peasy to pinpoint ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby ErikMAMS » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 pm

bor64 wrote:.... It's recorded for a German TV show ....

Slight correction, with all respect Rob. The clip is from one of a series of danish TV Quiz Shows called "Hit".

I only remember the shows vaguely, but look at the very end of the clip, it seems like two quiz contestants is located behind a desk stage right with the quiz host standing to the farmost right.

In addition to featuring a studio audience, the shows were spiced up with live acts on the stage - I think with the artist, band or the song performed, relating to quiz catagories or questions.

I remember the UT clip was discussed online (probably 5 or more years ago). I can't remember the details nor were it was debatted. The essence thought, was that Hanks odd solo performance was simply part of a quiz question (somewhat explaining the rushed and uninspired playing) - fits in line with what Rob says.

But, surely HM wasn't brought in just to do the solo medley, so I'd assume he must have had a real spot in the show, which might well have been what Rob suggests.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby bor64 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm

No Worries Erik,

I stand corrected....I think it's 15 years ago I viewed that particular video for the last time(I must dig it up sometimes).
The quiz part wasn't on the tape apparently...
So I was 250km off, with the recording location....whattha misteeeka da meeeka (Cpt. Bertorelli 'allo 'allo). ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby shadowriter » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 am

Wish he hadn't done that. opened himself up to awful comments that he didn't deserve.
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby Tigerdaisy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am

Hmm, yes you need at the very least a click track... Just shows the benefit of using a simple looper pedal like the Boss RC1. It also shows the difficulty in finding really good tunes that you can successfully turn into instrumentals which almost stand on their own. He should have been a bit quicker and sharper and refused (in a nice way) to do it. This also highlights the problems involved playing this genre of music in your 'bedroom'...you do need to contrive some sort of backing.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Return to Gear