Is the Electric Guitar 'dead'?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Is the Electric Guitar 'dead'?

Postby rogera » Sat May 05, 2018 7:34 pm

I only have the one Strat and like Terry and Dave I found that after setting it up there was never a problem.

I think that it's fair to say that most members here have a preference for the early Hank recordings so it's worth bearing in mind that he used only the standard trem.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby cockroach » Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 am

rogera wrote:I only have the one Strat and like Terry and Dave I found that after setting it up there was never a problem.

I think that it's fair to say that most members here have a preference for the early Hank recordings so it's worth bearing in mind that he used only the standard trem.

Yes, but...

Everyone likes the recordings and tries to reproduce what they heard on the records..in the early days, Hank often didn't sound exactly the way he sounded on records when the Shadows played live. He often varied what he played on the original recordings too. And, he and the other Shadows did indeed use the same gear, in standard unmodified form, when they played on stage and in the studio, or TV and radio live broadcasts.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby noelford » Sun May 06, 2018 8:11 am

dave robinson wrote:
Tab wrote:I have four Strats all with the standard trem and experience none of the problems raised above. As I said, previously, if the guitar is set up properly, the trem is perfect.

Same here Terry. :)

Me neither.
noelford

Postby Stuart » Sun May 06, 2018 8:33 am

May I point out that the staytrem does not modify or change the sound of the original tremolo at all. It is a replacement arm system only. It still uses the existing block and nothing needs to be altered at all.I too like the original Shadows sound and use my 63 strat to reproduce that sound. The staytrem trem arm does not change the sound in any way it simply makes the use and control of the trem easier and more controlled without the looseness of the original arm. Using ptfe tape around the thread of the original arm is a very poor alternative. It is either too restrictive of the rotation or still clonks if looser and invariably wears away after just a short playing time. If you get the chance, try one out they dont cot much and you canalways refit the original trem arm if preferred but I bet you won't.
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Postby nivramarvin » Sun May 06, 2018 12:00 pm

cockroach wrote:... and to also modify the Strat so that you have a tone control which works on the bridge pickup as well as the neck and middle pickups.

I modified my Fenix Strat so that the 2nd tone control works on the bridge pickup instead of the middle PU. So I can reduce the sharpness of the bridge pickup, while I never use a tone control for the middle pickup.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby cockroach » Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm

nivramarvin wrote:
cockroach wrote:... and to also modify the Strat so that you have a tone control which works on the bridge pickup as well as the neck and middle pickups.

I modified my Fenix Strat so that the 2nd tone control works on the bridge pickup instead of the middle PU. So I can reduce the sharpness of the bridge pickup, while I never use a tone control for the middle pickup.

For years I've swapped pickups around on Strat type guitars- this only works if all three pickups are essentially the same (i.e. if there is no 'hot' after market pickup)

Just swap the positions of the bridge and middle pickups- no soldering necessary...then with the standard Strat circuit you now have:

position 1. neck pickup with its own tone control

position 2. neck + bridge each with a separate tone control

position 3. bridge only with its own tone control

position 4. middle + bridge- with tone control for bridge only

position 5. middle pickup only- no tone control. sounds OK without it..

Works well for me, and includes the neck+ bridge setting like a Tele or other two pickup guitar..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby chaddman » Sun May 06, 2018 6:32 pm

nivramarvin wrote:

You can use a small wire link on the 5 way switch from b2 to b3 and use the middle tone pot to work both middle and bridge pick ups (it works for me). I also use PTFE tape (a roll will last a lifetime) with a trem tension spring and have no problems. :D
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 07, 2018 9:56 am

chaddman wrote:
nivramarvin wrote:

You can use a small wire link on the 5 way switch from b2 to b3 and use the middle tone pot to work both middle and bridge pick ups (it works for me). I also use PTFE tape (a roll will last a lifetime) with a trem tension spring and have no problems. :D

Agreed on all counts. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Stuart » Mon May 07, 2018 9:12 pm

As chadman wrote (and several others agreed with him) that there is nothing wrong with the original trem arm but he winds ptfe tape around the thread to make it less rattly in the block...... this supports the point I was making that the original trem arm is loose in the block and does clonk when being used. The ptfe tape is merely a temporary bodge which wears out very quickly.I mentioned the staytrem because it cures this shortcoming simply and permanently.
Nobody loves and admires the strat more than I do but this is to me its only fault on an otherwise beautiful looking and sounding instrument.
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Regarding the use of PTFE tape, It's hardly a bodge in my experience. I generally get about three to four years out of one application, in fact I have six Strats with the Fender screw in arms and in the thirty years I've been using PTFE for this purpose, I am still,on only my second roll, but what do I know.
My other Strats are a G&L S500 that has a grub screw which works fine, as do the Wilkinson 'push in' ones. I have a Fender USA deLuxe with their 'push in' arm which works well. The best one that is non Fender is the PRS.
These 'Staytrem' and 'Easymute' things probably do a job OK and are here, even though they don't need to be, there's always someone who'll buy them. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear