Just a thought, Hank's 34346 Strat.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Just a thought, Hank's 34346 Strat.

Postby bor64 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Well folk anyone looked at my avatar??
The most left one is a genuine fiesta red 58 strat and it's a pinkish one either....all others are suppoost to be fiesta red also....
The cimarron red strat I've posted earlier in the thread looks a lot like the 50th anniversary shads/oasis strat packages color....

Cheers rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Hank2k » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 pm

bor64 wrote:Well folk anyone looked at my avatar??
The most left one is a genuine fiesta red 58 strat and it's a pinkish one either....all others are suppoost to be fiesta red also....
The cimarron red strat I've posted earlier in the thread looks a lot like the 50th anniversary shads/oasis strat packages color....

Cheers rob

Hi Rob

Any chance of a larger version of that pic? Fantastic collection you have there
Hank2k

Postby bor64 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm

IMG_3588 (648 x 486).jpg
(113.96 KiB) Downloaded 8133 times

Hi Steve,

Here's a larger picture of 7 of 9 (sounds familiair ;) ) fiesta reds....
58- 40th- 92 CS HM- MIM HM- MIJ HM- Squier- 62 PB.
Hope this helps a little !

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Established1958 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Dave, I haven't been here for a while but with a few moments to spare I did see this thread. The CRS -59 colour is a 1950's car colour and after we found it ( I say we meaning Bruce, Mick and Myself) and supplied Fender with the code the Custom Shop gave it the name UK Custom Red. Because it was part of a Limited Edition specification Fender say you can't order it and interestingly subsequent requirements for repair to a damaged CRS required Greg Fessler to use the last of the paint mixed in 2009 which he had stored at home. After we got the prototype Bruce and Jet both affirmed it was close to their recollection. Hank said it was close and declared it a lovely colour. I hope that helps with the mystery.
Howard.
Established1958

Full Real Name: Howard Gillespie

Postby Established1958 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:30 am

Hello fellow Shadows fans,

Here we are 10 years on from the Final Tour and the Shadows 50th Anniversary and the CRS-59.

A collector and guitar fan Gary Davies has just published an exhaustive "tome" about Anniversary Stratocasters.

I just had my copy and I have to say it is very well researched and presented.

Chapter 15 is dedicated to the CRS 59 but there are dozens of other Strat gems in there and some great interviews with the Master Builders.

Just go to https://strat28.wixsite.com/anniversarystrat

At first the book will only be available direct but eventually it will be on a well known book website or two.
Established1958

Full Real Name: Howard Gillespie

Postby bor64 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks Howard!
Placed an order for one sample!
Can't wait to receive it!

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby JOHNNERS » Sat May 11, 2019 10:27 pm

HI
It's my understanding that when Hank got his second red strat (rosewood f/board) used in the film The Young ones he was disappointed with the colour
(Fiesta as we know it)
Can't remember who told me now but this kind of bears out that the torino red was a different shade of red
Regards
Johnners
JOHNNERS

Full Real Name: John Aylett

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 am

Torino Red as I understand it, is pretty much the same as Ferrari Red. Bright, but not Fiesta-bright.
Attachments
Ferrari-F1.jpg
Ferrari-F1.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 6585 times
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Didier » Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 am

JOHNNERS wrote:HI
It's my understanding that when Hank got his second red strat (rosewood f/board) used in the film The Young ones he was disappointed with the colour
(Fiesta as we know it)
Can't remember who told me now but this kind of bears out that the torino red was a different shade of red
Regards
Johnners

Here is what Hank said to a french magazine about this Strat (translated by myself) :

Hank :
The (import) ban had just been removed, and people at Vox got an exclusive import contract for Fender products. The first packages contained some Precision Bass, some Stratocaster and Telecaster. This is why Bruce was shot with a Telecaster and Jet with a Precision Bass to promote the Fender range. Meanwhile two stratocaster and one Precision Bass were specially painted in fiesta red for us so we would all have a guitar of the same colour. We got them a few days later. So I gave back to Cliff my first Strat which wasn't really mine.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby scouserjoe2 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,

I have said this many times before but it is almost impossible to make accurate assessments of or to match colours unless you are working with industry standards, for example RAL or Pantone. As a working professional photographer, matching and correctly balancing colour is something I have to deal with every day! To the eye any colour will change in appearance depending on the light under which it is viewed; this can also vary if there is another strong colour within the nearby environment, such as a floor or wall covering. I have seen my own Fiesta Red Stratocasters turn pink or bright red depending upon the light. When I prepared the Hank Marvin Custom Shop Stratocaster fact sheet some 10 years ago I made sure that all the images were taken under the same lighting and with a plain black background in bright noon daylight with a white balance on the camera set to 5500K. While the colours may not appear to be the same as mine if you do not have a colour calibrated screen, at least you can see the variations between the various instruments. There is no doubt that the Oasis CRS Red is a completely different shade altogether to the others, having a much 'cooler' tone.

Having seen the way different lighting can make such a difference to the appearance of a colour, it is my personal (and humble) opinion that Hank's original Stratocaster was probably of a standard colour of the time (most likely Fiesta Red). The comment that it appeared to be 'Flamingo Pink' when the case was first opened or when the instrument was taken out and played which spawned the 'Flamingo Pink myth' was more than likely due to the lighting and also the very 'orange' colour of the lining in the original tweed case. A copy of my factsheet from 10 years ago is 'hopefully' attached.

Best

Ian
Attachments
Hank Marvin-Shadows Fender Custom Shop Guitars.pdf
(450.57 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

PreviousNext

Return to Gear