Fender GA-43 Hank endorsed acoustic

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender GA-43 Hank endorsed acoustic

Postby bgohara » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:33 am

I always regretted not buying one of these at the time, but I have just managed to get my hands on one (on its way). Can I ask if members have any experience of these guitars - what did they think and what gauge of strings should I be using? I guess there are maybe 500 of these guitars around? I remember it came out around the time of the 'Guitar Player' tour - and Hank used it on a couple of numbers (certainly Sacha on the stand - and maybe 'it doesnt matter anymore'.

Any contributions appreciated.

Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Re: Fender GA-43 Hank endorsed acoustic

Postby aardvarkd » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:42 am

Hi Bernie,
I'm glad to hear that you've managed to pick up a GA-43SCE. Mine came from the first batch to arrive in November, 2002 and it's been a pleasant, easy player. The construction and finish are both excellent and the pickup system works well for a good variety of sounds. I put it through a Roland Acoustic Chorus AC-60 and usually string it with Martin 80/20 Bronze .012 - .054s. When Hank used his on one of the '90s tours it sounded pretty much like his usual Maton Tommy Emmanuel model - maybe a bit lighter in tone. The only problem I've had is that the wires from the Fender/Fishman 'Classic 4' ACLR unit can sometimes get trapped under the unit when you remove it to change batteries. If the unit is hard to get back in place you may need to reach up through the sound-hole and pull the wires clear of the plastic mounting case for the ACLR. However, this could be a one-off problem with mine and it's only very minor. I think you'll like it!
Peter
aardvarkd

Postby bgohara » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Peter thanks for your comments. Knowing very little about acoustic guitars, I was wondering if 12-54s were perhaps a little heavy for playing acoustic lead? Though I imagine they give a great rhythm sound?
Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby aardvarkd » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Bernie,
I think you would soon get used to them. They are still described as 'light gauge' strings, although if you are used to 9s or 10s they would seem a little firm for a while. I think HBM kept 12s on his but I'm searching for the mag article where he talked about that. You could always compromise on 11s and still get a pretty full sound. Incidentally, when Fender announced the guitar they said there would be only 250 units world-wide, although I'm not sure if they stuck to that figure.
Peter
aardvarkd

Return to Gear