Advice on amp for live work

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Advice on amp for live work

Postby David Martin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:08 am

I absolutely agree that the classic Vox valve amps are very heavy... but most comparable 30 watts all valve combos are...

That's why I also like the Vox modelling amps... so why not a VT50 or 100? They do have that authentic Vox sound (and heaps more besides) and are light...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby neil2726 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Funny when the Vox AC30s and Selmers came out in the 60s they didnt seem heavy then, used to fly upstairs with them in those days. Can it be an age thing? ;)
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Mark Burton » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm

For a covers band, how about the VOX VT60 ??? Its relatively light, its got all the sounds you need for live work, relatively in-expensive as they're only available second hand and you get a valve state combo so the best of both worlds ......... still wouldn't part with my AC30 for live work though :D

regards
Mark.
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby Fendermike » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi all,

thanks for the advice/views on suitable amps. A reasonably light solution would be good, as I am currently stuck at home with a back problem!!!
From the advice so far I think I am attracted to either the Vox VT50 (or 60) or the Marshall MG50FX. Both are compact and reasonably light and seem to have the capability to switch presets from a foot controller. So I need to go and try them both properly as soon as I am mobile again but before the VAT rise!!

A couple of further questions, is 50w going to to be loud enough for gigs in village halls/clubs etc? Also I read a report highlighting an issue with a noise 'spike' when switching channels on the Vox VT, has anyone had this problem?

thanks

Mike
Fendermike

Postby Didier » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Fendermike wrote:A couple of further questions, is 50w going to to be loud enough for gigs in village halls/clubs etc?

I have heard an AD15VT (now VT15) in a 45 people room, and it was loud enough for live playing with a real drummer.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Mark Burton » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Sorry ....... above should have read AD60VT ......... :oops:
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Previous

Return to Gear