magicstomp v zoom g2.1u which to buy and any pitfalls?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

magicstomp v zoom g2.1u which to buy and any pitfalls?

Postby d jones » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:55 pm

As a novice to the guitar which of the two would you go for and any pitfalls or problems with either unit ? I know eftp patches are available for both and i assume the magicstomp is an older unit and now out of production,many thanks for any advice.

Dave
d jones

Re: magicstomp v zoom g2.1u which to buy and any pitfalls?

Postby tony parnham » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:54 pm

The Zoom G2 is an excellent unit and Zoom have sold thousands it will do almost anything from dirty to heavy distortion and Shadows echoes too, at the price it's a snip.
The Magicstomp will do clean and distortion, chorus, flanging etc just like the G2 but not as good and is limited in those areas as it does'nt have a dedicated EQ for each patch.....HOWEVER.... as far as EFTP Shadows echoes is concerned it is truly outstanding for its price and what it is, so if all you want to play is Shadows and related stuff the Magicstomp is the unit to have but you will have to shop around. I have both units and have used both extensively and thats my humble opinion. Others may differ.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Twang46 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 pm

I agree with Tony.
The G2/G2ui are both great all rounders & a lot cheaper & more easily available than the Magic stomp units.

I disagree with Tony
I like the Zoom better for shads type echo's & have both a G2 & a G7, I have tried different Magic stomp's several times & have always gone back to the Zoom's.

Must admit though that the MS is almost universally liked by Shads fans :roll:

Zoom G2 s/hand £45 (also new £75) patches £15
Magic stomp s/hand only £150 ? patches £25

Cheers

Dick
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby d jones » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Cheers Tony and Dick for you replies and insights into these two units, many many thanks!

Dave
d jones

Postby RayL » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:25 am

If you want to record, the Zoom has a lower noise floor i.e. less background hiss and digital chatter.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to Gear