Should we all be using earplugs?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Should we all be using earplugs?

Postby Fiesta red » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:48 pm

I have been to quite a few loudish Shads/guitar clubs during the past few years. Also practice at my friends house can be loud. (no name or I might get banned) Should we be using earplugs? Or is it to late to start by the time we reach 55 or so. I must say not many people seem to use them. Those of you that do use earplugs, do they hinder your playing? Ken.........
Fiesta red

Full Real Name: Ken Bowler

Re: Should we all be using earplugs?

Postby Tab » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 am

Pardon?
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:11 am

Yes you should... and preferably the custom made ones with filters built in. Very costly...but...

Some are reviewed in the current issue of Guitarist, and, after recommending - but regretting the price - they ask "what price your hearing?"

Now I can answer this from experience. I ruined my hearing in the 70's playing rock, and consolidated the damage with "Legend" which is the loudest practising band I ever worked with - bar none. And the result? I now wear hearing aids full time, and because I wanted to restore my hearing as well as it can be done, and I didn't want chunks of kit hanging behind my ears and blocking up my ear canals I chose these... http://www.bebyresound.com/facts-and-features.htm

And the price of your hearing? This is the best deal at present... £1250 per ear... at http://www.affordablehearingaids.co.uk/products.html

And you know what ... they're absolutely worth it...

But you won't ever need them if you get these http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=1298

Or pop into your local Boots Hearing Care Centre and they'll sort you out...

Go on, go on, go on... you know it makes sense... and it's much much cheaper than the (imperfect) cure...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Paulps » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:57 am

Fiesta red wrote:I have been to quite a few loudish Shads/guitar clubs during the past few years. Also practice at my friends house can be loud. (no name or I might get banned) Should we be using earplugs? Or is it to late to start by the time we reach 55 or so. I must say not many people seem to use them. Those of you that do use earplugs, do they hinder your playing? Ken.........

Everyone should wear earplugs when I'm singing.....I do! :lol:
Paulps

Postby Fiesta red » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks for the info David.
Fiesta red

Full Real Name: Ken Bowler

Postby abstamaria » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 am

All the drummers from the 1960s I know are hard of hearing. Some are almost deaf.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to Gear