Swell/Volume Pedal

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Re: Swell/Volume Pedal

Postby George Geddes » 19 Mar 2010, 15:08

Argentina was recorded in October 1978 & released in December.
Deer hunter was recorded in March 1979 & released the following month.

George
George Geddes

Postby Twangaway » 19 Mar 2010, 15:26

So are you saying George that he used the Boss on these two tracks ?
Twangaway

Postby JimN » 19 Mar 2010, 16:06

Twangaway wrote:So are you saying George that he used the Boss on these two tracks ?

As I understand it (George may have a different recollection), Hank didn't use a Boss pedal until later than that (probably the 1980s). In the late seventies, around the time of Cavatina and ...Argentina, he was using a Morley pedal.

HTH,

JN
JimN

Postby dave robinson » 19 Mar 2010, 16:13

JimN wrote "around the time of Cavatina and ...Argentina, he was using a Morley pedal".

That's the way I remember it too. In fact I still have my big chrome, mains powered Morley Volume pedal (though it no longer lights up) which I bought from our local music shop having seen Hank's, to replace my Schaller pedal that gave up the ghost.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » 19 Mar 2010, 16:33

I'm pretty sure that Hank used a Morley throughout the 80's up until The Shads broke up. When he started touring as a solo artist, he had changed to the Boss.
AlanMcKillop

Postby George Geddes » 19 Mar 2010, 16:39

I shouldn't really quote myself, but... I wrote in my 1981 book that it was a Morley pedal used on Argentina and Deer Hunter. Had I been aware of a change to the Boss, I would probably have noted that. So either Hank had changed and not told me 8-)> or he hadn't moved on to the Boss then.

George
George Geddes

Postby Twangaway » 19 Mar 2010, 21:27

George Geddes wrote:I shouldn't really quote myself, but... I wrote in my 1981 book that it was a Morley pedal used on Argentina and Deer Hunter. Had I been aware of a change to the Boss, I would probably have noted that. So either Hank had changed and not told me 8-)> or he hadn't moved on to the Boss then.

George

He was pedalling along, on moonlight bay.... da da da da da da , He seemed to say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Twangaway

Postby MeBHank » 20 Mar 2010, 15:11

AlanMcKillop wrote:I'm pretty sure that Hank used a Morley throughout the 80's up until The Shads broke up. When he started touring as a solo artist, he had changed to the Boss.

That's correct. The slimline Morley can be seen on the stage on the 1989 "At Their Very Best" DVD/video. I was told that when doing a guitar clinic (or was it a performance for the one of the NEC guitar shows?) Hank came onto stage before the performance, walked to his amplifier and lifted the Morley out of the back of it, to use for the set.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby Gary Allen » 20 Mar 2010, 15:48

Would this mean the guitar sound would be fatter by having the morley in the chain.?
Gary Allen

Postby MeBHank » 20 Mar 2010, 17:01

Gary Allen wrote:Would this mean the guitar sound would be fatter by having the morley in the chain.?

I hear little or no difference to the tone when using my Morley, Gary, though it does drop the signal volume somewhat.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Gear