Fenix Guitars

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Fenix Guitars

Postby stratmantd » 03 Jun 2010, 20:02

A friend of mine has a couple of Fenix guitars, a Tele type and a Les Paul type, and as they are just gathering dust he is thinking of selling them. He was wondering if I knew anything about their value and where it is best to sell them.

Well, I don't know anything about them apart from the guy who made them being sacked by Fender for making his own guitars in their premises. Probably not so much because he was using their parts (although that is cause to get the polis involved) but because the instruments were superior to those that Fender were producing.

If anyone can help me with some info I'll pass it along to him and show him what a knowledgable, helpful lot we've got here.

Cheers in advance.
stratmantd

Re: Fenix Guitars

Postby George Geddes » 03 Jun 2010, 21:38

If memory serves me right, they were in the same ballpark, pricewise, as Squier.
I nearly bought a gorgeous green sunburst tele clone at a music show, and lived to regret not actually purchasing it.

If Paul Day is around he could probably give you chapter and verse on history and value.

George
George Geddes

Postby kipper » 03 Jun 2010, 22:13

thats about right on a par with squier the made in japan squiers in my opion, which is not a bad thing. the early ones have the fender headstock. they are begiining to be collected the last year or two. and are nice guitars, they had some nice detail like the trem back cover was flush with surface wood. peter
kipper

Postby dusty fretz » 04 Jun 2010, 01:16

Thanks for the vote of confidence George - I'll try to keep the answer brief and hopefully not too boring! The Fenix brandname belongs to Korean company Young Chang, who are better known for piano manufacture. The electric guitar side proved quite successful in the UK during the late '80s-early '90s, via a range mainly comprising good quality but somewhat predictable Fender- and Gibson-derived designs. Initially the former featured fairly accurate headstocks, but these later altered to more original outlines. Back then the various Fenix Tele-types retailed at £225-£325, while Les Paul look-alikes were £335-£429. In today's recession ridden and competition clogged secondhand UK market, nice condition examples should sell for around half these figures.
dusty fretz

Postby RUSSET » 04 Jun 2010, 05:54

A mate of mine has had several Fenix guitars over the past two or three years, & he really rates them as top class instruments. he tends to keep his eye open on Ebay & picks them up at bargain prices. They certainly seem to be a good quality guitar, well above the usual budget brands.

Tony.
RUSSET

Return to Guitars and Gear