ironstone pickups

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

ironstone pickups

Postby ovation553 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:34 am

hi all chaz here
presently im using a vintage reissue strat with trev wilkinson single coils i am thinking on changing pick ups to ironstone silver series heard a lot of good reports...would this make an improvement to my guitar or should i stay with the stock wilkinson pick ups....not that these babies are sound bad but for the price it would be a cheep upgrade any ideas welcome
regards charlie
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Re: ironstone pickups

Postby Stu's Dad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Hiya Chaz,

My own personal view is that there would be very little to gain. I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 50s and I changed the pickups to Ironstone Gold. I found the originals to be better so I changed back again. Ironstone are quite good, but so are Wilkinson.

Cheers,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby artyman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:03 pm

I have a set of Ironstone Golds in my MIM strat , sound good to me, not sure about the player though!
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby chaddman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi Chaz,
I have purchased Alnico V pick ups from China for £14 odd which were a made by Belcat and a Loaded Alnico V pick guard from China for £16 odd.Both sound great to me and for such a small investment well worth a punt.If they don`t sound much different then you haven`t spent much and at least you will have some spares. :D
Cheers Phil.
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 pm

I have Ironstone pickups on one guitar and they are decent pickups and a good alternative to cheap pickups found on some Squiers, but the Wilkinson pickups are excellent too and not something I would change personally. I have two Vintage guitars equipped with Wilkinson pickups and they are staying put. Trevor Wilkinson has done his homework and got it pretty much right, so I think it would be a waste of money. If you do go down that road I would be very interested to know how they compare and if there is some improvement, if any. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RUSSET » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

I'll second that for Wilkinsons. Some years back I replaced the humbuckers in my Epi Les Paul Standard with Wilkinson Vintage style pickups. It made all the difference to the tone & it actually sounds quite like a real LP now.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby ovation553 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 pm

hi all
many thanks for replies and opinions....sticking with the majority the wilkies will stay

best regards to everyone

charlie
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Return to Gear