String gauges for Marvin Legend

Anything about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

String gauges for Marvin Legend

Postby 51 Relic » 11 Apr 2011, 05:29

Hi i own an original Marvin Legend made in 2001 s/n 150 red with a maple fretboard and i would like some help with string gauges . At the moment i use normal 10s on all my guitars no problems apart from the legend .This is the problem ,i find that the low E string moves in the nut slot side to side when bending on the low E string at the low frets ,this is also followed by a clicking sound (no wear in the zero fret ) is this normal ? does the nut need replacing or am i using a too lighter string gauge for the nut on this model ?

What string gauges work best on this guitar 10s or 11s or normal 10s ?

Thanks for your help :)
51 Relic

Re: String gauges for Marvin Legend

Postby David Martin » 11 Apr 2011, 07:52

I would say this is quite normal for a zero fret guitar. I use 10-46 on my Marvin with no ill effects, so I would leave it as is...

As a matter of interests, I have used 11s on it, but there was no tonal advantage and string bending was much tougher... and I had to set up the trem and the bridge all over again! :ugeek:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby 51 Relic » 11 Apr 2011, 10:24

Thanks David

Kind Regards Nigel
51 Relic

Postby JimTidmarsh » 11 Apr 2011, 14:19

When I got my Legend 11 years ago, it came stringed with 9s. I changed them for a set of 10s & have used them ever since, as I do on all my electric guitars.
JimTidmarsh

Postby flingelbunt » 15 Apr 2011, 22:35

I have a Burns Legend which has that authentic Burns 'honk'!! I've used 10-46 Elixirs on it and am perfectly happy with the soud. The amazing thing about this guitar is that I can get it out of the case after several weeks and it stays perfectly in tune!!

Maurice
flingelbunt

Postby flingelbunt » 15 Apr 2011, 22:36

.... and as well as being happy with the soud, I'm also happy with its sound!!....

Maurice
flingelbunt

Return to Burns