Burns Case?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Case?

Postby sixtiesman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:48 pm

I have a Burns black re issue bison 64 with rezo system!....Hurrah!
But I have no case......

Does anyone know of a cheap solution?

Or is it...buy a case from Barry Gibson?

If so...does anyone know how much they are?

sixtiesman
sixtiesman

Full Real Name: clive tallon

Re: Burns Case?

Postby dusty fretz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 am

The new Chinese-made Bisons come complete with cases, but at present, no spare examples of the latter are available. However, it's hoped that the situation will be rectified sometime in the not-too distant future. This model does pose problems size-wise, because many modern cases are built to minimal measurements, i.e. just big enough to hold a Strat and no more, but one exception is the rectangular type manufactured by UK company Freestyle, as a Bison is a snug fit.
dusty fretz

Postby David Martin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:53 pm

You could also contact Hiscox http://www.hiscoxcases.com/ who used to make the Burns cases before Barry went "offshore"...

They will make you a Bison case no problem, but it won't be branded Burns on the front...

Great cases, great value and made in UK Midlands... in what used to be south Staffordshire, the county of my birth (they threw me out fast!) :lol:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby neil2726 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm

But not before you rocked us in North Staffs - David! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby David Martin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 am

That's true Neil... my saving grace!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby sixtiesman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm

My thanks to Paul Day AKA dusty fretz. I had a freestyle in the store but never believed it would fit!
I am sorted.
My Bison is a black reissue, unusually with the rezo system trem. I has grey pearloid plastic scratchplates.
Still toying with the idea of replacing these with black plates for that all black effect!
sixtiesman

Postby dusty fretz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Clive,
Thanks for the thanks and I'm glad the Freestyle case fitted. Your particular horned beast is a Bison 64 Deluxe, hence the presence of a full-blown Rezo-Tube vibrato system, which replaced the simpler Burns design employed on the standard (and cheaper) Bison 64. Like the latter, the Deluxe version was offered in black or white and it debuted in 2006, being one of the last Burns models to come from Korea. Just to confuse things, some examples arrived here with Hank Marvin's signature on the vibrato baseplate and most were shipped minus the accompanying black plastic surround.

My advice would be to leave well alone, as this was a pretty fair approximation of the real thing and not exactly common. If you really fancy the all-black look then buy a suitably sombre Bison 62 to keep it company!
dusty fretz

Postby sixtiesman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 am

Dusty!

OK, ........I've had a good look and mine has Jim Burns signature and "anniversary series" on it with plastic suround.

I think you have convinced me to leave it alone!

Is Korea good or bad do you think?
sixtiesman

Postby dusty fretz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Clive,
Good to know you have a complete and correct Bison 64 Deluxe - those 'unofficial' omissions and amendments I mentioned tend to niggle me. Concerning quality, this model came out comparatively late in the day and, on the evidence of the examples I've had through my hands, I'd say by then it represented the best that Burns' Korean manufacture could manage. As yet, the substituted Chinese production source has issued only the Bison 62, which in some ways improves on its Korean equivalent, but not in others, so work still needs to be done. Regardless of origin, these modern Bisons do offer great value, retaining plenty of the original character, plus great playability and sounds that are usable rather than gimmicky.
dusty fretz

Return to Burns