New Double Six with Trem

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Double Six with Trem

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:42 pm

dusty fretz wrote:I tune my 12-stringers down to D to save breakage on the octave 'G'.

Is that really necessary, Paul?

I use an 0.008" string for the G octave (an 0.007" if I can find it), and it tunes up to the G without problems. Since a 13 will tune to E (albeit with a medium gauge tension) without problems, even a 10 should tune to G (in fact, a 10 will tune to A at Sonomatic-type tension).

Mind you, if there were a breakage problem, I think I'd rather just tune the third pair in unison than have the whole guitar a tone below concert!

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dusty fretz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:43 am

I've never had much luck with octave 'G' strings; regardless of gauge or tension they simply don't seem to last too long being that high above upper E, often letting go when being bedded in (i.e. stretched), let alone played. I've tried the unison tuning alternative to save on breakage and it obviously helps, but the trade-off is losing that typical 12-string chordal chime generated by the internal inversion, so I'm happier staying down a step and working out the necessary transpositions. Anyway, it helps keep the old brain active!
dusty fretz

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:42 am

Anyone own an 'Apache' D6? :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Here's that D6 octave down sound again.......... :roll:

Bill Bowley

Postby cockroach » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Woohhh! Great sound Bill!

What a pity that odd guitars like that with such a distinctive sound are so rare and expensive...although it could be that they are limited in versatility by their very nature and sound...Catch-22! I think the Bass VI also fits that category, and the Rickenbacker 12 string, also both favourites of mine.

(So it's back to my cheap Squier Tele....but at least it's capable of a huge range of sounds suitable for a wide range of styles, and I could afford it!!!...he said, philosophically!)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 pm

'Roach,

Perhaps this is worth a look for you - its in Prospect SA as well: EBay Item 250597322511

Hasn't moved much in price for a while.................. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby cockroach » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks Bill, but I've got a copy very like that one - it was $150 eleven years ago from a pawnshop.... :D
cockroach

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 pm

'Roach,

A bargain! Well, maybe one like this then? (don't tell me you got one of those for $150 back then too!) :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby cockroach » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Bill, I DID have a similar looking fiesta red Squier which was $169 new..... :lol:
cockroach

Postby Graylion » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm with Paul regarding the string breakage on the octave 'G'. I broke 2 just tuning, my then new D-6, up to standard pitch! I checked the bridge pieces for burrs or anything that might induce breakage and there wasn't a problem.

Re: the Ricky 12 - I have been told that the Tom Petty signature version has a wider neck at the top nut - dunno if it's true though. I imagine that dainty little Susannah Hoffs doesn't have problems with its slim neck! :roll:
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

PreviousNext

Return to Burns