New Double Six with Trem

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: New Double Six with Trem

Postby dusty fretz » 14 Mar 2010, 11:55

Hi Bill,
I have an original Burns set left over from the 1960s and Colin Pryce-Jones of The Rapiers borrowed it to obtain the correct gauges etc. He then had some made up for his Double 6, either by Rotosound or Newtone, who would probably oblige again, although this might prove quite expensive. An easier (and cheaper) alternative for the octave-below side would be to use Ernie Ball baritone or six-string bass strings, as this company offers both types specifically suited to their Silhouette Bass. However, these are round-wound, while the Burns versions were tape-wound, which is why the ever-perfectionist Mr. Pryce-Jones naturally chose the more-correct, but costlier custom-made option!
dusty fretz

Postby JimN » 14 Mar 2010, 15:30

Hi, Paul,

For the record, could you post the details of the string gauges here at all?

It might be helpful to anyone contemplating stringing a MIK Double Six as per On The Beach, etc. Not that I have any intention of altering the nut on mt '66 Fender Electric XII...

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bill Bowley » 14 Mar 2010, 16:54

dusty fretz wrote:Hi Bill,
I have an original Burns set left over from the 1960s and Colin Pryce-Jones of The Rapiers borrowed it to obtain the correct gauges etc. He then had some made up for his Double 6, either by Rotosound or Newtone, who would probably oblige again, although this might prove quite expensive. An easier (and cheaper) alternative for the octave-below side would be to use Ernie Ball baritone or six-string bass strings, as this company offers both types specifically suited to their Silhouette Bass. However, these are round-wound, while the Burns versions were tape-wound, which is why the ever-perfectionist Mr. Pryce-Jones naturally chose the more-correct, but costlier custom-made option!

Paul,

Many thanks for the info! I must say though, I don't at present have any need for such a set, the question was mainly as 'a matter of interest'. I did have a D6 for a short time many years ago but 'sold it on' as it was a non starter for me, playing mostly rythym. Still, as one gets older the habit of collecting guitars seems to grow at its own pace, and my need for such a set of strings may be closer than even I can imagine!

Regards :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby dusty fretz » 16 Mar 2010, 01:07

Hi Jim,
Back in the 1960s, neither Jim Burns or James How saw the need to show actual gauges on the string packets. I don't possess a micrometer, so I can't help either, but fortunately Colin Pryce-Jones does still have the relevant measurements taken when he borrowed my original Double 6 set.

Gauges for the octave-below examples are apparently as follows: 024, 038, 052, 066, 078, 102; while their standard pitch partners span: 013 (plain), 016 (plain), 024, 032, 047, 052. Colin emphasises the strings must be tapewound to supply the correct results and confirms that Rotosound supplied his modern, custom-made equivalents.

He warns the high tension of the strings snapped the standard anchor pins on his Double 6 tailpiece, so sturdier replacements are a must. He also says that although the sound is spot-on and appropriately effective, the combination of the single-saddle bridge and octave-drop tuning means relative intonation between each pairing is far from accurate, making in-tune playing a somewhat tricky task. Of course, Hank's original prototype strung this way employs a six-saddle bridge, which eases such problems a little.
dusty fretz

Postby Bill Bowley » 16 Mar 2010, 01:51

..Mmmm.

If one was really intent on using the octave down set, one possibility would be to use the components from an Epiphone EDS1275. I don't know about the string spacing, perhaps that would be a problem,
Wouldn't 'hack up' an original D6 for this purpose myself though........... :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby JimN » 16 Mar 2010, 02:46

dusty fretz wrote:Hi Jim,

...Gauges for the octave-below examples are apparently as follows: 024, 038, 052, 066, 078, 102; while their standard pitch partners span: 013 (plain), 016 (plain), 024, 032, 047, 052. Colin emphasises the strings must be tapewound to supply the correct results and confirms that Rotosound supplied his modern, custom-made equivalents.

He warns the high tension of the strings snapped the standard anchor pins on his Double 6 tailpiece, so sturdier replacements are a must.

Thanks for the gauges, Paul. I am toying with the idea of converting one of the current Asian-made Double-Sixes to "twelve string bass" tuning.

I knew about the problem with the pins on the original tailpiece (a weird design, I think) on Colin's D6, because my friend, the late Roberto Pistolesi, did the repair on the bent pin (can't remember whether it was one or two pins). I still remember Roberto and I stripping the instrument down to get the tailpiece off - removing screws which had been in place since 1964 or so...

Best wishes and thanks very much for the info,

JN
JimN

Postby Dance with Shadows » 16 Mar 2010, 06:26

Hi Jim

I too have toyed with the idea of converting my Asian Burns D6 to octave below tuning. But I was told that the neck on the Burns D6 would not take the strain. I have no idea whether that claim is correct or not. I don't know whether bass strings or the light set create more tension. And have no idea about what truss rod is included in the Korean (?) model

Care to comment?

Michael
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby Bill Bowley » 16 Mar 2010, 09:14

Dance with Shadows wrote:Hi Jim

I too have toyed with the idea of converting my Asian Burns D6 to octave below tuning. But I was told that the neck on the Burns D6 would not take the strain. I have no idea whether that claim is correct or not. I don't know whether bass strings or the light set create more tension. And have no idea about what truss rod is included in the Korean (?) model

Care to comment?

Michael

Michael,

Would the Gotoh bridge on those take the thicker strings? I have a Gotoh 12 string bridge as part of my yet to be assembled Fender Strat XII project (I have yet to make the nut, since they are simply not available 'off the shelf for Strat XII'!) and they don't seem to allow much space for the bigger guage. :(
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » 16 Mar 2010, 09:23

Whilst we are talking Burns 12 string, can anybody remember who owns this Bison 12? I saved the pic but forgot to store the rel info. :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby JimN » 16 Mar 2010, 10:57

Dance with Shadows wrote:I too have toyed with the idea of converting my Asian Burns D6 to octave below tuning. But I was told that the neck on the Burns D6 would not take the strain. I have no idea whether that claim is correct or not. I don't know whether bass strings or the light set create more tension. And have no idea about what truss rod is included in the Korean (?) model
Care to comment?
Michael

Michael,

Who told you that the neck can't take the strain? Did the information come from someone authoritative? At the gauges quoted by Paul, and given that the scale length is just 25.5", I wouldn't expect the pulling weight to exceed the combined tension of a set of (ordinary) Sonomatics (13-56) and the octave/unison strings at appropriately the same weight at pitch (eg, 13, 17, 09, 14, 16, 22w).

JN
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to Burns