1st Burns guitar help?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: 1st Burns guitar help?

Postby JimN » Fri May 07, 2010 1:02 pm

David Martin wrote:In my opinion - if Shadows music is your thing, then go for the 64 Marvin or Apache...

What he said...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bojan » Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm

snakestretcher52 wrote:I was having the same dilemma choosing a new Burns; I'd owned a couple of reissue Marvins but nothing with Tri-sonics since my '62 Short scale Jazz, so I went for a Shadow which should be arriving tomorrow. I wanted a different tonal flavour to my Strats-the Tri-sonics being a bit richer and darker.

Andrew, I would be very interested in hearing your impressions about the Shadow when you have had time to put it through its paces . . .

Bojan
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby snakestretcher52 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Bojan, unfortunately I was quite disappointed and I'm returning the guitar. I did not have an opportunity to try the guitar first as I don't have a dealer near me so I bought it mail-order. It arrived with a few scratches, the specified Grover locking tuners turned out to be a non-locking Burns logo'd generic variety, the tremolo block rubbed against the side of the poorly-routed cavity, I couldn't get the bridge to sit at the same height on both the bass and treble sides no matter what I did and there was a bit of a twist in the neck!
I hope this was an isolated example but I'm not going to take the chance of having another with the same issues unless I can play it first.
snakestretcher52

Postby Bojan » Sat May 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Oh, that's a shame !!! Well, thanks, now I know that I will avoid that particular model!
Bojan

Postby René » Tue May 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Bojan.

I think, Stan is referring to the new Marquee Pro, which has "Custom Elite" written on the neck plate.

Cheers

René
René

Postby Bojan » Tue May 11, 2010 8:59 pm

But then that doesn't make sense because the Custom Elite series is the best and most expensive in the whole range of Burns guitars . . .
Bojan

Postby René » Tue May 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Well, Bojan.. I´ll try to upload some close up pics tomorrow night...
until then, have a nice wednesday.

Best regards

René
René

Postby Nick Allan » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

I think, perhaps confusingly, that the "custom" range, rather than the "custom elite" is the top of the Burns range, and more expensive.

All the best,

Nick.
Nick Allan

Postby Bojan » Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm

No, Nick, I just checked on the Burns London website and it's (from top to bottom): "Custom Elite," "Custom," and "Club Series" . . . So, a "Custom Elite" Burns at £550 ? That would really be nice!
Bojan

Postby Nick Allan » Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Bojan,
What you say about the order in which the different categories of Burns are put on the website is correct, but the custom models are considerably more expensive than the Custom Elite. I have 3 custom models, and they were all at least £2,000 each when I bought them a few years ago.

When I made enquiries about another custom model some months ago, I was looking at £2,500 (about the price of the original Apache limited edition when I bought it - top of the range at the time, with a diamond set into the tremolo arm). I hate to think what my custom doublesix would cost now.

So it is confusing, because of the title "Custom Elite" and the way they are arranged on the site, but experience would indicate that the custom models are the top end - although one wonders what the manufacturing differences may be - possibly not a lot - but with a custom model you should get more choice of colour and other options, one would suppose.

All the best,

Nick
Nick Allan

PreviousNext

Return to Burns