1st Burns guitar help?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

1st Burns guitar help?

Postby fendervox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:29 am

Hello all.

If I may I need some advice from you knowlegeable folk.

I am considering a Burns guitar to compliment my strat.

I play at home only to backing tracks with a magicstomp EFTP and a vox AC30 heritage (amp bit of an overkill in my conservatory but got it cheaper than list)

considering the shadow in black around £320, the custom elite at around £550 and the Hank Marvin 64 around £700 or if the wife allows a Burns Apache!!!!

For home use only, will I get a reasonable authentic tone with the cheapest guitar?

No shops have any Burns in my area to try out (except a Marquee, which is the same as the Shadow in essence?)

Playability is not such a problem as I have tried various strats and they all play the same to my limited experience, even a change of pickups to Fender 57/62 made no difference to my ears.

thanks in anticipation

Stan
fendervox

Re: 1st Burns guitar help?

Postby David Martin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am

Hi Stan...

In my opinion - if Shadows music is your thing, then go for the 64 Marvin or Apache... the others are good guitars and make great noises, but the TriSonic pickup is a very different beast to the Res-O-Matic of the Marvins...

Where in the world are you?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby fendervox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:29 pm

thanks David

good advice

I live in North Wales so music shops are hard to come by, nearest Cities are Chester, Liverpool and Manchester

Stan
fendervox

Postby David Martin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:00 pm

There must be other members closer to you with a Marvin who would let you try theirs, but if not, and you'd like to make the trek across country, you would be welcome to try mine. I'm near Lincoln.,
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby noelford » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Stan, if you fancy a day out (and a chance to play a few numbers) in West Wales, our club next meets at Rhydlewis Village Hall on the afternoon of Saturday March 6. I'd be happy for you to try my Apache!

Cheers

Noel
noelford

Postby David Martin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am

That sounds like a great offer... :)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby fendervox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:57 pm

thanks for the offers

may take you up on it when got some spare time

Stan
fendervox

Postby gardinga » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:21 pm

You really need the Marvin if you want the real Burns sound...... firstly for the pickups, but mainly for the rez0tube bridge/trem.... this is very different from that of a strat, and really makes a significant contribution to the Burns sound....as well as having a completely different "feel" to a strat trem.

Great guitars well worth the extra pennies.
gardinga

Postby snakestretcher52 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm

I was having the same dilemma choosing a new Burns; I'd owned a couple of reissue Marvins but nothing with Tri-sonics since my '62 Short scale Jazz, so I went for a Shadow which should be arriving tomorrow. I wanted a different tonal flavour to my Strats-the Tri-sonics being a bit richer and darker.
snakestretcher52

Postby Bojan » Fri May 07, 2010 4:36 am

fendervox wrote: . . . considering the shadow in black around £320, the custom elite at around £550 and the Hank Marvin 64 around £700 or if the wife allows a Burns Apache!!!! . . .

Stan, what do you mean by "the custom elite at around £550" ?

Bojan
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Next

Return to Burns