Burns Marvin Signature Guitar

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Marvin Signature Guitar

Postby Rover » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am

Hi, just noticed on the Burns website that the Marvin Signature Guitar is no longer available. Very surprised at this, but I think anyone who has one will see the value increase as these are well sought after. I had one and always regretted selling it.
regards Rover
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Re: Burns Marvin Signature Guitar

Postby Teflon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pm

As I understand it, the rights to using the Marvin name and signature expired earlier in the year and have not been renewed, hence no more Marvin guitars. The Burns Dream guitar is, however, essentially the same thing with a few upgrades (albiet in different colours etc).

If you really want a Marvin, they come up quite regularly on Ebay and the like, often in mint condition. Oasis music in Ringwood also still have a couple of new ones in stock, as do Hotrox (one white, one red).

They really are terrific guitars.

Cliff (no, not THAT Cliff :lol: )
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby neil2726 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:23 pm

The ones going on Ebay are priced at around £1,500!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Teflon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:12 pm

As I understand it, the licensing for the Marvin name and signature expired earlier in the year and has not been renewed, hence no more "Marvins". There are still a few new ones available, Hot Rox has a couple, as does Howard at Oasis, so if you want a new one, now is the time :D .

Cliff
Teflon

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:41 pm

TBH, the reissue Marvins' were spoiled in my opinion by the re-designing of the neck pocket. A true Burns Marvin has a neck pocket as was intended at it's conception. Otherwise it's a strat body with Marvin hardware. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Teflon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 pm

I must admit, I prefer the re-designed neck joint, as it avoids the crack at the neck pocket that they are notorious for. Having said that though, I've got a UK built Legend Custom Delux and so far no neck pocket crack, so they clearly don't all suffer from it :D .

Cliff
Teflon

Postby bor64 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm with Dave....
A Burns Marvin with a strat neck pocket....errr
That little crack is kinda mandatory for a Marvin... The original oldie has that too.
So kinda chip of the old block, the few sissy's who got their nickers in a twist 15 years ago and complained to Barry ruined the original design.
I've handled and played countless strats and I encounter also cracks on new guitars.
The Burns Shadow Custom 1 of 500 that I have, has the "new" design neck-pocket, is a nice guitar(I've bought to get the series complete).
I can't get used to the Burns in red,I'm old muck and I like my three white and one greenburst Marvins more.

Tin hat in place ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm

I gave my red Burns Shadows away recently, I just didn't want it as it had no place in the history.
I took a cheaper CIJ Fiesta Red ''62 Reissue by way of PX and in all honesty it is a better guitar. I have the real USA version of the same guitar and it's difficult to separate them by quality, sound or playing comfort. :|

I was desperate to get the white Marvin in 2004 as I could never afford one in the sixties, but honestly, it doesn't come close to a Strat for playing comfort, though it sounds OK, but Leo got it right with the trem design as the Burns effort is clumsy and in the way of using the controls. The Marvin is a good looking guitar but I won't use it unless I have to. Much like John Rostill with the bass version. In actual fact, the Marquee plays better than the Marvin for me, for the trem alone. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Teflon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Good job we're all different. I've been a Strat owner for some 40+ years, but have only recently discovered the joys of a well set up Burns, and now prefer them over my Fender. I began with an Anniversary Edition Apache, which started the love affair, then bought a brand new White Marvin, which I use as my "everyday" guitar.

My favourite though, is a recently purchased 1996 Legend Custom Delux in fiesta red. I know Hank never played one (at least as far as I'm aware), but he really should have ;) :lol: - I think it's stunning. An added bonus is that the guitar was signed on the scratch plate by Hank and his son Ben during a UK tour back in the late '90s :) :D .

No tin hats needed though - it would be a boring place if we all liked the same things :)

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Teflon wrote: ... it would be a boring place if we all liked the same things …

Indeed, we'd all be fighting over the same guitars for a start!

I've had a couple of Marvins, but although I love the look and sound, cannot get used to the feel. I much prefer the Cobra in this respect, as long as it's an early (pre-2010) one which I think were much better.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to Burns